Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Paying for planning applications

Former Member, modified 8 Years ago.

Paying for planning applications

Lots of debate (elsewhere on the Hub) about iApply and paying planning and building regulation application fees has brought up a few quite       fundamental questions, hence starting a new thread here.

The first is to ask what the DMPO regulations mean when they say that (other things being ok) applications are valid when LPAs ‘receive the fee required to be paid..’.

Is it received?

1. when the money is in the LPAs bank account, or

2. when we receive a cheque (promising the payee some money) or

3. when someone who is acting for the LPA (ie the PP/iApply) have the money in their bank account and have agreed to pass it on to the LPA in an agreed timetable

The second question is to ask if anyone has done some work to decide which is the most efficient  way for the LPA (and by this I mean costing the LPA less time/money) to receive the fee. I.e. is it:-

1. To have the fee paid direct into the LPAs account online

2. As above, but by phone

3. Paid to the Portal/iApply, who then pass it on to the LPA via BACS

4. Receiving and cashing a cheque from an agent or applicant.

On the cheque option, 2018 seems to be earmarked as the time when cheques will be no longer used, but have any LPAs taken the decision to not accept cheques as payment for planning and building regulation fees.

RE: Paying for planning applications

The UK Payments Council has stated that it wants cheques to be phased out by October 2018, "but only if adequate alternatives have been developed". I suspect that we may be still seeing and using cheques after that date. 

SOCITMs figures applied generally to councils are, per transaction: online - £0.15, telephone – £2.83 and cheque - £5.66.

We're working with agents to push online or phone payments but struggling a bit with the larger developers who have to get cheques signed by 5 different people in different offices, with luck, around the country. They have suggested we could just invoice them and they'll pay at the end of the month - our response on that one is probably best described as slightly luke-warm...

Thanks Paul, are the SOCITM figures part of a report they have produced?  I had a look at theur web site but could not find anything.

Thanks

Hi Bryan

The figures come from a SOCTIM Better Connected report in 2012 - so accept may be a bit out of date.

I can't find a copy of that report online but below is a link that references the original report.

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-management/socitm-two-thirds-of-council-enquiries-are-now-digital-3377065/

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Paul

thumbnail
Richard Crawley, modified 8 Years ago.

Expert Posts: 254 Join Date: 07/12/11 Recent Posts

Hello Bryan - I've shifted this thread to the 'applications' forum as the "alternative providers" one is for discussion with DCLG on the pilots.