Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Mezzanine Floors

REBECCA STADDON, modified 8 Years ago.

Mezzanine Floors

Advocate Posts: 103 Join Date: 05/09/13 Recent Posts

Hi,

I'm sure this subject has been raised before but I couldn't find it!!

If a retail outlet is increasing the size of it's mezzanine floor area by 475m2 and no other work is taking place i.e. it does not form part of a wider planning permission seeking to provide other works as well, are they charged CIL on 475 m2 or do they get the first 200m2 free?? 

Thanks

Rebecca

Former Member, modified 8 Years ago.

RE: Mezzanine Floors

Surely the full 475?  If you applied the same argument within other areas of CIL, it’d be like saying a 110sqm extension is only charged for the 10sqm above the 100sqm threshold.

Rebecca,

I agree with Helen - we have a size threshold for supermarket developments and if an application breaches that size, the full floorspace is liable.

Hayley

REBECCA STADDON, modified 8 Years ago.

Advocate Posts: 103 Join Date: 05/09/13 Recent Posts

Thank you so much ladies, that is the logical thought process I went through but I just wanted to be sure as I haven't dealt with a mezzanine floor before.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Rebecca

Talking of mezzanines: http://www.planningresource.co.uk/article/1386186/judge-rules-170000-cil-demand-unlawful

According to this ruling, the creation of mezzanines that do not include any external changes to the building are not liable for CIL.