Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Caravan in garden with its own address

Henry Sears, modified 8 Years ago.

Caravan in garden with its own address

Me and my partner have just bought a run-down C.19th house for renovation in the middle of a small village. It hasn't been lived in for about 12 years. In the garden there is an old (now beyond repair) caravan; not a static, but a large towing caravan of the sort used by fairground people and travellers. When I phoned the council about council tax, I was told that the caravan had it's own separate address and council tax account!

The question is what advantages, if any, does this give us - is it worth our while keeping up the council tax payments for it (we might perhaps eventually be able to rent out whatever replaces it as a separate dwelling unit?).

At the moment we plan to replace it with a converted horse lorry mobile home that I already own, to live in whilst we renovate the house - is this acceptable from a planning point of view? (I realise this probably raises a separate issue!).

The house also has a 1/4 acre paddock adjoining the garden in which I wish to site a shepherds hut I am currently building (movable on wheels),  which will be used as guest accommodation and for volunteers working on the land and house. Will this be subject to planning restrictions?

We are in a national park.

Many thanks in advance,

Henry

Henry Sears, modified 8 Years ago.

RE: Caravan in garden with its own address

Hello All,

I would really appreciate your comments on my original post - the time is drawing close to moving onto site!

It appears, from my reading of regs, that the converted Leyland Daf 45 horse truck that I plan to put on site to live in while we renovate meets the necessary criteria to be classed as a caravan. Am I right?

Anyway, your expertise and experience would be gratefully received!

Henry