Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Extending time limit for householder planning application

Former Member, modified 8 Years ago.

Extending time limit for householder planning application

Hi,

Is it still possible to extend the time limit for a planning application that has not expired without making a full new application? I have a permission that was originally granted in 2005 and extended in 2010, again in 2013 and is expiring next month. I applied to extend it again having spoken to the planning helpline of my local borough (RBKC) who after some initial confusion then advised it was possible for a fee of £57. I just received a letter saying it was no longer possible as the temporary measures had now expired and the form (33) I had used (& downloaded from the planning portal) related to that. I must submit a new full application.

I thought the measures introduced in 2012 simply moved the date of permission that this could apply to those granted prior to 2010 from 2009. As mine is pre 2009, is that previous legislation still valid, or is it now no longer possible at all to extend a planning permission? I have searched online and found this link indicating the goverement announced they were going to scrap tha ability to extend the time limit

https://www.blplaw.com/expert-legal-insights/articles/use-it-or-lose-it-planning-minister-announces-the-end-of-the-ability-to-extend-the-life-of-a-planning-permission/

But I cannot find a definitive answer that this implemented, and many many councils still have the ability to extend the time limit listed on the their websites, along with the no.33 form.

Any help would be gratefully received! Many thanks,

Jay

Former Member, modified 8 Years ago.

RE: Extending time limit for householder planning application

Hi Jay, the provision has expired I'm afraid. You will need to make a fresh householder planning application and pay the full fee. Sounds like a lot of Councils need to update their websites! 
Nigel Hancock, modified 8 Years ago.

RE: Extending time limit for householder planning application

New Member Posts: 14 Join Date: 19/10/11 Recent Posts
Or implement the permission, its suprising what little work needs to be done to preserve the permission indefinately