Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Permission in principle

Peter Stockton, modified 8 Years ago.

Permission in principle

Enthusiast Posts: 34 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

The government intends to give "automatic" permission to housing schemes on sites allocated for that use in local plans.

Im not sure what this will add?

I have always assumed, and advised developers, that allocated sites in our adopted Local plans are tantamount to having outline planning permission. They have been through a process of consultation, technical appraisal and independent scrutiny so do not need a planning permission again, only approval of reserved or detailed matters.

Planning in principle sounds like unnecessary bureaucracy to me ?  If there is some national confusion about the status of allocated housing sites, why not just clarify that through NPPG instead?

Former Member, modified 8 Years ago.

RE: Permission in principle

Hi Peter

Couldn't agree more. It is simply adding more confusion and complication to a system that the Government claims to be simplifying.

The consultation claims that PiP will rovide more certainty for developers to invest in a site, however given that some of the detailed matters which would previously have been considered at outline stage, for example, contamination, aren't considered under the new process until the detailed consent stage.

Not to mention the proposals re: public consultation...!

So many flaws just like much of the consultation proposals...I guess the government will say that's the point of consultation...

cheers

Paul