Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

ICT systems

thumbnail
Richard Crawley, modified 8 Years ago.

ICT systems

Expert Posts: 254 Join Date: 07/12/11 Recent Posts

You may have noticed recently that we in PAS are trying to get better at writing down the stuff that is in our heads about "what good looks like". 

The first couple of notes are here :

http://www.pas.gov.uk/keyprinciplesforgoodmanagement

Attached is the third in the series, about ICT systems. Let us know what you think about this draft, and feel free to send it to your local ICT supplier. I'd be happy to take anyones comments - especially about the tone of it. We want to be helpful, after all. 

Rich

ict
Former Member, modified 8 Years ago.

RE: ICT systems

Hi Richard, this is really useful. A few points:

I think there's a tension between making the system fit to your work and making the work fit the system. Some of the most successful systems (the SAPs of this world) are very demanding that users fit their work to the system and not the other way around. I would suggest that when you're looking for a system you should find the one that best fits your needs (other things being equal) but once you're committed that you should be prepared to change your workflows to meet the quirks of the system, with the proviso that you monitor the changes and try to get the system improved where it is creating inefficiencies. This is related to work-arounds, which I find are often a case of people being unwilling to change their behaviour to fit the system, rather than just people designing the work around the system. I agree software-generated work-arounds should not be tolerated; pressure should be brought to bear on the software developer to make their system fit for purpose. But if users are simply being stubborn then that's not the software developer's fault.

Corporate ICT demands (eg document management, "paperless" systems) usually stop a system being used to its full functionality; the developer then spends all their time meeting your authority's bespoke integration and workflow requirements. Choices need to be made between practical departmental systems and those big ICT programmes - which takes precedence, should we make them work together or can we cope with them being separate, etc. There will never be "one system to rule them all", so as an authority you need to figure out how to make your various systems work together.

Standardising processes (where they are good processes) is a good idea, though in my experience it's better to learn from other authorities that are operating the same system rather than standardising with your neighbours (unless there's an intention to merge functions).

Software is often seen as the financial silver bullet that will cure your department's funding gap. More often than not it won't; it may transfer some revenue spending to capital spending, but the implementation will be costly and (as most systems are badly implemented and maintained) it will most likely transfer the costs onto overworked staff. The benefit of a new system will probably only be an improvement in quality of service (usually in the form of more accessible and better presented information) and in keeping up with the increasing demands on the service.

Reporting tools are frequently overlooked as they are used directly by very few people. Good reporting is invaluable and stops you from running your service based on people's moodiness levels (which is also a useful sign, but hard to quantify!) Most systems have shoddy built-in reporting tools and would be better served by running business objects or crystal alongside them. So many departments have a separate database, usually on access, that replicates the actual applications database in order to satisfy reporting requirements; it's important that you're clear as to what data you want the system to hold, and how you're going to get this out of the system, over and above its day-to-day operation by general users.

And another thing...! Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant!

Rob

thumbnail
martin hutchings, modified 8 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 30 Join Date: 26/02/13 Recent Posts

Rob thanks for these thoughts and observations. The points you make about the tensions of corporate Vs service requirements, reporting requirements / tools, and the data elements of systems are really useful. 

I'd like to push back and expand the debate on a few of your other points. I have no doubt that the large providers are 'demanding' of customers to change their processes to fit the IT system, but I see that approach as part of the problem (and maybe a reason to work with smaller and/or demand more flexibility from providers). It does seem odd to suggest that you change your workflows to fit the IT system, and then carry out a review and THEN seek to change the system if it is making you inefficient. IT systems in my view aren't often designed or are too rigid to optimise customer service and when we allow the work to follow the IT system it is usually to the detriment of customer service and doing the job in the most sensible way. 

You are right about software systems not being financial silver bullets especially in the way that the bean counters will look at the world. However (your last point on this subject) if the result of putting in a new system is 'only' an improved quality of service, and better access/information then you are on the right track - good quality service and access to information will reduce unwanted demand which in turn will reduce costs. But most of those looking at ways to produce one-off or quick hit savings do not look at things in this way and although it is common sense, it does takes a bit of effort to measure. 

Standardisation of processes does not always work especially in a service based business like planning (as opposed to manufacturing for example). Because of the variety in the work and the fact that human beings make planning applications, trying to push everyone and everything down one route doesn't work, especially at the front  and back ends of the process. There is room though to standardise systems - driven elements like reports, letters, communications etc. 

Thanks again and keep the debate flowing!

thumbnail
Richard Crawley, modified 8 Years ago.

Expert Posts: 254 Join Date: 07/12/11 Recent Posts

That point about 'corporate' made me think about another thing I've noticed many times - and it's the way that planning systems are often provided by the IT department, and because that expertise is external there is often a gap between users and providers. What you don't get, in that sort of situation, are people encouraged to have a play and to try new things out. 

Former Member, modified 8 Years ago.

Hi Martin, and thanks for your comments.

When I'm talking about changing your processes to fit the system, there are a couple of scenarios I'm thinking of. In both, let's assume you've reviewed your processes then found and implemented the system that best meets your overall requirements (I'm not suggesting you do things the other way round). In the first scenario you have users who are unwilling to change their practices and still do things the old way. It's not so much that they aren't using the system properly but more that they aren't complying with the new processes you're implementing along with the system; these users will need additional support and challenge to get with the agenda. In the second scenario you've bought the best system there is, but it's not perfect (as no systems are) and changing it will take time (as it always does). Here you have choices; do you put in temporary workarounds to overcome the imperfections? Or do you accept the inefficiency (or whatever the problem is) and crack on until the problem is fixed? That's the dilemma, and I would usually prefer to accept the inefficiency for a short time as this puts the pressure back on the software developer to fix the problem.

Richard - I agree re systems being "owned" by IT departments; they often don't know anything about planning and frequently have an overly target-driven problem-fixing attitude (rather than developing a system that works). Do you tell them to get lost, and just deal with the developer as much as possible? Fine - but quite a few planning systems are actually part of a larger package, which may not be reflected in your organisational structure. So maybe you should have a dedicated IT person who can get to grips properly with your system, part-funded by your department(s) and be encouraged to click buttons and see what happens.

thumbnail
martin hutchings, modified 8 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 30 Join Date: 26/02/13 Recent Posts

Rob - thanks for clarifying and your helpful comments and observations. Like many things, we don't live in ideal worlds (sometimes the system has to come first or alongside and we adapt around it) but you keep most control of what you want to deliver if you have the right ethos in place and think about things in the right way/order i.e. the customer first, the processes supporting customer service and then the system that supports and enables. You can then at least stay as far away from being driven by the system as circumstances and the corporate situation allows you to be. People usually don't play by the rules when the rules don't make sense, or aren't encouraged to challenge or they are driven by silly targets. 

We are going to publish this note this week so we'll see what the wider world thinks about it. Thanks again.