Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Are local council killing infill plots by car parking requirements

Former Member, modified 4 Years ago.

Are local council killing infill plots by car parking requirements

Just read about a recent consultation case about a proposed three bed detached house on reasonable infill plot in Hampshire in fairly central town location. The plot is 8.8m wide with full width frontage to a residential road and a fairly long garden. The site proposed three parking spaces with two more created for existing house. One of the key reason for refusal is by the council was the local policy requires 4 parking spaces for 3beds and above. I checked through the parking guidance, even a two bed will require three parking spaces. 4 parking spaces will typically require a plot width of 10m which may only feasible for a wide plot or a shallower plot with very deep frontage. The parking alone will make most of the plots which can create decent family home similar to the existing ones impossible. Considering most of the three beds have a typical width of 6m or less. No mention about terraces of even narrower. I am feeling this is a bit mad. I'm councils consideration that parking is more important than creating perfect family homes just like the ones around. Thinking creating 3 terraces will need 9 parking spaces.... That is a enormous car park. 

You do not have permission to access the requested resource.