Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Class Q(a) of the GPDO - COU of agr. building to dwelling only

Former Member, modified 8 Years ago.

Class Q(a) of the GPDO - COU of agr. building to dwelling only

I'm in need of assistance in dealing with a prior Notification application for the change of use an agricultural building to a dwelling under Part Q(a) only. The applicant has indicated within their submissions that the building is likely to be demolished and rebuilt, though are only trying to ascertain whether the principle of using the building for residential use is acceptable. Whilst the use for residential purposes is considered acceptable, my understanding of part Q is that it is only the use that is considered not any physical alterations. If alterations were considered then both Part Q (a) and (b) would be applicable.

The proposed COU would be acceptable when considered against the criteria set out in Part Q.2 (a - e), though I fear that the building would then be demolished and rebuilt (differently). if Prior approval was granted (with conditions) could I condition that the approval relates only to the change of use with no alterations permitted? Or could I refuse prior approval as the 'siting of the building makes it otherwise impractical' for the change of use as there are no existing windows, and consists dilapidated barn doors. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated : )