Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Prior Notification Larger Home Extension

Clare Gray, modified 8 Years ago.

Prior Notification Larger Home Extension

New Member Posts: 5 Join Date: 21/05/13 Recent Posts

Good afternoon All,

I have received the attached larger home extension app, with the new extension joining to the existing garage. I seem to remember reading something last year about these Larger

Home Extensions and that they could not join any existing outbuilding/garage etc on the site. Can anyone else remeber reading it, I've checked the regs and cannot see why it can't

join, but as i'm sure i've read some sort of case study, thought i'd check with you all first.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Clare

NKDC

REBECCA STADDON, modified 8 Years ago.

RE: Prior Notification Larger Home Extension

Advocate Posts: 103 Join Date: 05/09/13 Recent Posts

Clare,

I am a CIL Officer but I have spoken to one of my esteemed planning colleagues who deals with these applications on a regular basis and she says that the extension is off the original house and therefore could be considered under the Notification procedure.

Hope this helps.

Rebecca

Nigel Hancock, modified 8 Years ago.

RE: Prior Notification Larger Home Extension

New Member Posts: 14 Join Date: 19/10/11 Recent Posts

It has always been my understanding that if an extension physically attaches to another extension (or an outbuilding) then the two parts are considered as part of the whole development.  So if the larger house extension attaches to an existing outbuilding and the whole structure (including the outbuilding) exceeds the limitations of the larger house extension provision then it cannot be PD.  It may be however that it is still within the limitations and therefore could be.

See page 21 and 27 of the Government's Technical Guidance for permitted development rights householders for a bit more of an explanation about how the whole develoment must be considered together as the resultant building.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/516238/160413_Householder_Technical_Guidance.pdf