Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - Heddiw

Recording housing land supply

Former Member, Addaswyd 8 Years yn ôl.

Recording housing land supply

At present, we use, or will be using, a range of separate databases for monitoring and recording housing land supply and delivery (eg SHLAA, small sites register, brownfield register, housing land supply (permissions and completions) database).  There's quite a lot of overlap between the sites that appear in each of the databases and sites can often move from one source to another over time and create duplication. It would really make sense to have it all in one place.  Before I start looking at our own bespoke design, does anyone have, or know of, a database that can deal with this volume of information already?

Our databases contain quite detailed information, and existing software like the Idox Uniform Plan Monitoring module just don't hold the amount of detail we need.

Andrew Chalmers, Addaswyd 8 Years yn ôl.

RE: Recording housing land supply

Advocate Postiadau: 169 Dyddiad Ymuno: 20/10/2011 Bostiadau diweddar

I too am battling a little with this issue so would be keen if anyone out there has the simplest and cheapest solution.  Historically our SHLAA was effectively a register of sites without planning permission (in a bespoke and highly technical Access database bought in from a planning consultancy) while housing land monitoring in terms of allocated sites and those with permission is in Excel.  Now we have an overlap too of sites greater than 0.25h in both.  But duplication errors are all too common and transferring information from one to the other is taking a completely disproportionate length of time relative to the pretty limited value of the SHLAA itself since many of the sites do not contribute more importantly to the five year supply.

We are probably all guilty as planners of breaking the fundamental rule that information in databases should be entered and stored only once.  Every time we produce a new sub-list we tend to add updates or additional intelligence which don’t make it back to the original data list…so the benefits of that information are not captured for all to see and there is additional work to repeat the exercise.  A classic example I have had recently is updating housing site information for a 5 year supply argument pulling together new post April 2015 permissions, pre-apps etc. While this information has not been lost the person actually doing the April 2015 housing update is likely to have to replicate and re-work this this anyway to pick up additional information for example house types.

In theory it should be is simple enough to have a basic information record for on a site and through criteria coding say whether that site has permission, is a SHLAA site with no permission, on the brownfield register or small site register.  I cannot see why this in principle should not be possible and then there would be one update for all sites whether continually or once a year (as we do for completions).

So yes is anyone out there already doing well and willing to share their approach?

Former Member, Addaswyd 8 Years yn ôl.

I'm currently looking at this now at my authority.  We are in a similar position as we have a number of different databases and sources when ideally everything would be stored within one comprehensive database that covers the entire planning process.  At present we have two Access databases (the SHLAA and also an exported planning permissions/completions database from Uniform), which are then subsequently combined in Excel and then mapped using GIS to form the five year supply.  This uses three software packages and at each stage of the process additional information/analysis is undertaken which is not updated within the 'original' data source.  Clearly this could be more efficient.

Personally I think it would be ideal to track everything within IDOX Uniform as a site works its way through the planning system from SHLAA site > pre-app > planning application > grant of permission > implementation of permission.  Currently we are only storing the 'middle' part of the process within Uniform, with separate databases for the 'front end' (SHLAA) and 'back end' (completions).  

Adding additional information fields to existing Uniform records would save a significant amount of officer time with regards to data entry and reduce the likelihood of error/double-counting.  This site monitoring and assessment work will become an ongoing annual requirement as a result of the LPEG Expert Group recommendations alongside the Brownfield Register in any case, so we need to improve the system to make it as efficient and effective as possible.  

Does anyone know if it is possible to link and store SHLAA ('front end') and completion ('back end') information in Uniform?  Or are there any other solutions out there?

Anthony

Andrea King, Addaswyd 8 Years yn ôl.

Enthusiast Postiadau: 76 Dyddiad Ymuno: 19/08/2013 Bostiadau diweddar
Similar situation here, our SHLAA was in a regionally-initiated Access database, but we've now decided to transpose it across to Excel (which we usually did anyway for much of the analysis).  Furthermore, the Government's standard format for the Brownfield Register has come through as an Excel format.  I see the Brownfield Register and Small Sites Register simply as sub-sets of the SHLAA, so it should be possible to set the first few columns to be consistent with what's required for the Brownfield Register and then with a column to tick whether a site is on that Register you can easily do a filter to get a summary schedule of that, which with a quick setting of the print area can be pdf'd for putting online or the relevant columns copied and pasted into a separate Excel spreadsheet to post online in that format.  Similarly the Small Sites Register can easily be done by filtering according to the site area column. 
thumbnail
Richard Crawley, Addaswyd 7 Years yn ôl.

Expert Postiadau: 254 Dyddiad Ymuno: 07/12/2011 Bostiadau diweddar

It's great that people are turning their minds to this, as no doubt when it happens it wll all be a bit of a rush. 

However I know that there is a brownfield pilot group, and that one of the things they are making is a schema for capturing and sharing these datasets. I don't know how far they've got, but I'm assured that the people involved are dead-sensible practitioners. 

Andrea King, Addaswyd 7 Years yn ôl.

Enthusiast Postiadau: 76 Dyddiad Ymuno: 19/08/2013 Bostiadau diweddar
Yes, that's what I was referring to Richard. The Schema they've sent out for the brownfield pilots is simply 22 column titles in an Excel spreadsheet, so nowt that special really!
thumbnail
Richard Crawley, Addaswyd 7 Years yn ôl.

Expert Postiadau: 254 Dyddiad Ymuno: 07/12/2011 Bostiadau diweddar

Oh. 

I'd sort of imagined, what with it being about bits of land, that it might have a spatial dimension. 

Otherwise difficult to put on a map ? 

Hopefully someone will get hold of it before the pilot process concludes. 

Andrew Chalmers, Addaswyd 7 Years yn ôl.

Advocate Postiadau: 169 Dyddiad Ymuno: 20/10/2011 Bostiadau diweddar

Certainly the Greater Manchester Combined Authority pilot bid is aiming to produce both:

• A GIS compatible mapping layer – this will be added to mappinggm.org.uk to allow interested parties to assess the land in relation to other relevant physical and social infrastructure; and
  • A CSV file to allow the data to be queried via Excel or other statistical and spreadsheet packages. Each district will publish a CSV file of their sites locally on the planning and growth pages of individual district websites.

There is a lot of GIS mapping being produced at the GM level by the CA which links infrastructure data and site specific information.  Check out http://www.mappinggm.org.uk/gmodin/

GIS is also being used as part of the call for sites for the Greater Manchester Spatial Framework.  http://mappinggm.org.uk/call-for-sites/development-sites.htm

The bigger picture of joint monitoring and automation of updated planning information from 10 districts is being investigated, but as yet we don't have the solution in terms of one all singing and dancing database/GIS system...maybe one day!

James Campbell, Addaswyd 7 Years yn ôl.

New Member Postiadau: 13 Dyddiad Ymuno: 21/10/2011 Bostiadau diweddar

The Brownfield Register spreadsheet has a field for polygon data but they are still working on the specification for it.  The requirement for it to be open data seems to be the main stumbling block.  I think this means that most authorities will be leaving the field blank as the pilot is meant to be finished by the end of June.

For me it is the amount of time it takes to re-input information that is already in the systems that we have that seems a bit pointless.  I want a system that can interrogate our different systems, understand through common datafields the records that are about the same sites and collate the required data.  A bit of time and effort upfront could save a lot of time later.

Charlene Jones, Addaswyd 7 Years yn ôl.

New Member Postiadau: 22 Dyddiad Ymuno: 30/08/2013 Bostiadau diweddar

Hi,

We have an in-house Excel spreadsheet for the housing monitoring, which includes rows for housing allocations, SHLAA sites and other sites that we are aware of coming forward even if they don't have a planning permission yet.

By a series of formulas it works out the five year housing land supply, information for the DCLG housing reconciliation forms etc. When our SHELAA is updated later this year, the new SHLAA sites will be entered as well, but cells can be turned on and off so they don't confuse the 5YHLS figures.

As for a GIS dimension, we add new sites to our ArcGIS database spatially, and using 'join/relate' functions, as long as there is a mutual reference figure in the GIS table and the excel spreadsheet, the information can be linked, which avoids duplication.

Definitely worth talking to your in-house IT team before paying for external solutions, or finding someone really good at Excel and/or GIS in the organisation :-).

P.S. Can the brownfield sites excel spreadsheets be shared even if you're not a pilot?

Thanks,

Charlene