Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Legal basis for strategic plans and joint spatial plans?

Former Member, modified 4 Years ago.

Legal basis for strategic plans and joint spatial plans?

Dear all,

I am currently doing some work on local plan coverage in England. Besides local plans I also look at plan documents a step above local plans.

So I came across plans, such as the greater Exeter Strategic Plan

"The Greater Exeter Strategic Plan will be a new formal statutory document, providing the overall spatial strategy and level of housing and employment land to be provided in the period to 2040. When adopted, it will sit above Local Plans for each area which will continue to be prepared to consider local level issues. Neighbourhood Plans will also be promoted so communities can continue to be empowered to make the detailed planning decisions for the benefit of their area." (https://www.gesp.org.uk/overview/)

or the West of England joint spatial plan.

Unfortunately, the NPPF lacks a definition for "strategic plans" or joint spatial plans.

I know that Local Plans as Local development documents  are listed in the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004, and the basis of the London Plan or the Greater Manchester Spatial Framework. 

Also the NPPF lists the following definitions in the glossary:

Strategic policies: Policies and site allocations which address strategic priorities in line with the requirements of Section 19 (1B-E) of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004.

Strategic policy-making authorities: Those authorities responsible for producing strategic policies (local planning authorities, and elected Mayors or combined authorities, where this power has been conferred). This definition applies whether the authority is in the process of producing strategic policies or not.

Therefore I know who can prepare strategic policies or who are the strategic policy making authorities.

As the NPPF more or less just refers to Local Plans, which can be prepared as Joint Plans by multiple local authorities and have to include strategic policies.

BUT I struggle to find proper definitions and a legal basis for things as these "strategic plans"or joint spatial plans. 

Can anyone of you direct me in the right direction?

many thanks