Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Starter Homes - WMS and NPPF

Karen Eastley, modified 4 Years ago.

Starter Homes - WMS and NPPF

New Member Posts: 5 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

I would welcome some clarification on the national policy approach to starter homes, particularly in the context of the national exception site planning policy for starter homes introduced by the Written Ministerial Statement (WMS) dated 2 March 2015 and the associated Planning Practice Guidance (PPG).

I am assuming the starter home exception site approach remains available to applicants as a material consideration as the PPG wording on this remains available. However, the consultation proposals for the NPPF review in March 2018 referred to the above WMS as one that the draft NPPF reflected, perhaps suggesting that it would no longer apply separately (I have seen Inspectors decisions indicating this for other WMSs in the list). This has introduced some doubt on the matter and any clarification anyone is able to offer would be appreciated. We are aware of the addition of starter homes to the definition of affordable housing. 

In addition, as I understand, there remains a need for the provisions in the Housing and Planning Act 2016 regarding starter homes to be implemented and secondary legislation is awaited. Is anyone aware of anticipated timescales for any such legislation being brought forward? Also, have local authorities been accepting that starter homes can be brought forward as a type of affordable housing prior to the legal framework being implemented / detail added via secondary legislation.

Thank you.