Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Self Build and Custom House-building Recording of Serviced Plots

Elizabeth Arnold, modified 4 Years ago.

Self Build and Custom House-building Recording of Serviced Plots

New Member Posts: 2 Join Date: 11/09/19 Recent Posts

Hello,

I welcome opinions and comments on the following.

Each year, MHCLG require local planning authorities to complete a Self Build Custom House-building (SBCB) Return Form which includes the number of people on the SBCB Register and the number of suitable serviced plots available. I understand that each local authority may take a different approach to what they classify as a suitable and serviced plot. Presently I consider a suitable serviced plot to be a planning permission granted in the year of the base period and being of a suitable size to accommodate SBCB units. For example, it could be deemed suitable to count live planning permissions that can accommodate up to two dwellings, if the SBCB Register in question only includes individual applicants, as suitable serviced SBCB plots for meeting local demand on an authority's SBCB Register. These permissions then account for data fed back to MHCLG as proving a Local Planning Authority can meet their local demand for SBCB plots. 

I raise this as just recently there was a Inspector's decision relating to this matter:

https://nacsba.org.uk/news/game-changing-planning-appeal-grants-self-build-site-due-to-unmet-demand-for-serviced-plots-locally/

To summarise, North West Leicestershire District Council (NWLDC) appear to follow the same approach as what I would deem a suitable serviced plot. Recently NWLDC refused a planning permission for 30 self build plots in Swadlincote based on issues such as being in greenfield land and the proposal being contrary to their Local Plan. However an Inspector overruled this decision and has granted planning permission based on:

• The single dwelling permissions that NWLDC had proposed met self build demand did not all fully adhere to the legal definition of self-build and custom house build plots. It was found that only 4 of the 133 single plot dwelling permissions that NWLDC reported met this definition.
  • The Council has failed to permit sufficient serviced plots to meet self build and custom build demand in the area.
  • NWLDC have failed to fulfil its duties around its Self Build and Custom Build Register.

Considering the Inspector's Report, I am interested to hear how other authorities ensure that they meet the demand for SBCB plots in their area and how they would deem a suitable serviced plot going forward that can be proved sound when submitting data back to MHCLG?

Thank you in advance,

Elizabeth

You do not have permission to access the requested resource.