Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Self Build Eligibility Criteria Issue

Jonathan Pheasant, modified 4 Years ago.

Self Build Eligibility Criteria Issue

Advocate Posts: 158 Join Date: 23/05/11 Recent Posts

I have noticed that our Self Build and Custom Housebuilding Register application form asks a question of applicants to confirm that the dwellings they want to build will be their sole/main residence. I am pretty sure that this term was taken from somewhere in the early stages of the requirements for setting up the Register.

I have checked several other LPA forms and they all require specifically that the applicant confirm that the residence will be their sole/main residence.

However I cannot find anything in the PPG or the Regs which requires this. Does anyone know where it comes from?

The 2016 Self Build and Custom Housebuilding Regs say the requirement is that the applicant "is seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority’s area for their own self-build and custom housebuilding." This sentence makes no sense anyway but the PPG is the same but has the word 'project' at the end, which makes more plain English sense.

Either way, there does not appear to be a requirement in either the PPG or the Regs that the property is to be the sole/main residence. Just that is it your own 'project' in the case of the PPG.

Are all of our forms wrong? Anyone recall or know where this 'sole/main' thing came from? Seems to be some kind of a get out perhaps for people to self build or custom build a second home? or a third..or fourth? It has to be 'your own project' So you can have a house already and 'custom build' (ie employ someone to build) you several other houses, that you can then rent out?

This came to light when we had an application from someone and they crossed out the word 'sole' on our form and left 'main' indicating that they wanted to build a second dwelling which would be their main, but not sole residence.

this would seem to be against the principles of the Register which was to meet the needs of individuals for a home. 

You do not have permission to access the requested resource.
You do not have permission to access the requested resource.