Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Self Build Exemption for more than 1 dwelling

Jo Bozdoganli, modified 7 Years ago.

Self Build Exemption for more than 1 dwelling

New Member Posts: 4 Join Date: 11/08/13 Recent Posts

Apologies if this question has already been posted but I couldn't see it.

On an application for 2 new dwellings we have received 2 separate SB Claim Form 1 (one for each dwelling) on the basis that the applicant/owner will occupy 1 dwelling and his son will occupy the second. I have being trying to understand Reg. 54a to see whether this is possible either as self build housing or self-build communal housing but am still unclear.

If anyone has had a similar scenario I would be grateful for advice on how you applied the regulations. Can only 1 dwelling be claimed under SB (i.e the applicant's) or is it possible for other dwellings to be exempt as long as they meet the SB conditions?

Thanks,

Jo

Jo Bozdoganli

Principal Planning Officer

Dudley MBC

Former Member, modified 7 Years ago.

RE: Self Build Exemption for more than 1 dwelling

Hi Jo,

We've had one of these (brothers), and are about to have another (business partners).

As far as I can see, they can both benefit from SB exemptions as long as they follow the procedure and submit all the relevant forms at the correct time. As self build doesn't literally mean "self" build, I see it as Applicant A commissioning Applicant B to build the property for their own use, whilst Applicant By are building their own property at the same time, thereby benefitting from economies of scale, if you follow my logic?

This doesn't mean we won't be watching these developments extremely carefully! We have a good relationship with Land Charges, so when a self build development has commenced on site, we will ask for a note to be put on the Register so we will be notified of any searches (thereby indicating a potential sale) before the end of the three year period.

Hayley

Daniel Hudson, modified 7 Years ago.

Advocate Posts: 121 Join Date: 25/04/12 Recent Posts

If the son is not the applicant, I would say not. Who has accepted the liability?

REBECCA STADDON, modified 7 Years ago.

Advocate Posts: 103 Join Date: 05/09/13 Recent Posts

Jo,

It is my understanding that as long as liability for each plot has been assumed seperately and the same liable party claims the relief for each plot there is no problem granting the

relief.

Rebecca

Carol Gore, modified 7 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 42 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

Hi,

We have a done about 4 of these types of development now.

So long as the person requesting the self-build for a particular plot has claimed liability for that plot, then we grant the self-build exemption (so long as they are eligble!).

Each time, I request that they submit CIL Form 1 & CIL Form 7 - part 1, with the the addition of the words 'plot 1' or 'plot 2' so I can easily separate them. 

We also inform them that as both plots have been approved under one planning application, then both must submit CIL Form 6 as soon as work commences on site, not when each plot is started, as commencement date relates to any material operations which begin to be carried out on the relevant land (Reg.7) and I've never had a two dwelling plot approved as a phased development yet ;-)

Hope that helps :-)

Jo Bozdoganli, modified 7 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 4 Join Date: 11/08/13 Recent Posts

Thanks for everyone's comments. The general consensus seems to be that both dwellings can get SB relief if they complete the right forms so we are going to go with that approach here at Dudley.

Jo