Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Query regarding CIL calculation

Jonathan West, modified 7 Years ago.

Query regarding CIL calculation

New Member Posts: 2 Join Date: 05/09/16 Recent Posts

Hi,

I am a little confused about the apportionment of deductible floor space. I understand for demolition the floorspace is apportioned between the uses. Is this the same for existing use?

I know that if we have a single-use development, then whatever the deductible amount (be it demolition or existing use) will be removed from that one use.

If we have a proposed multiple-use development, how is the deduction made?

For example, we have 100m retail unit on the ground floor.

The proposed application is building 100m of residential on the first floor, and 150m of takeaway on the ground floor. Is the 100m of deductible existing space removed from the use which overlays the area, in this case takeaway (150 - 100); or is it apportioned between the two uses (in this case, ((250/100)/250)) to equate to 60% of floor space chargeable for residential (60m) and takeaway (90m).

Claire Woods, modified 7 Years ago.

RE: Query regarding CIL calculation

Enthusiast Posts: 34 Join Date: 19/06/13 Recent Posts

Hi Jonathan,

I had this query recently and spoke in length to Jim Cliffe from Bristol.  On re-reading the regulations we decided that it relates to the "retained part" in Reg40.  Therefore, in your case the retained part is to be used for a takeaway so would be deducted from that element of the development.

Hope that helps

Regards

Claire

Jonathan West, modified 7 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 2 Join Date: 05/09/16 Recent Posts

Thanks Claire, so I am correct in thinking that it is not apportioned. 

This just makes it slightly more complicated as i'd have to overlay plans to see accurately the areas of change, and thus which area the deductions apply to.

Claire Woods, modified 7 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 34 Join Date: 19/06/13 Recent Posts
Yes it does make it complicated for mixed use development!  Good luck!