Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Confused about planning permissions/something odd going on?

Former Member, modified 7 Years ago.

Confused about planning permissions/something odd going on?

I recently applied for pre planning advice regarding a possible start up of a small camping/glasmping proposal and also about conversion of an old stone  barn into a holiday cottage. As expected being in a caravan exclusion zone I was told glamping meant fixed units which equalled a big fat no under the caravan exclusion zone policy. I suggested using an unused hay barn ( block and roofed ec) to house a toilet/shower block in (either build them in or house a cabin within the hay barn) but this was another fat no under policy as I would be creating new facilities. Moving on to the old stone barn - just for clarity it has the parts, 2 story old cart store, 1.5 storey and 1storey stables. This could be a holiday cottage however it wouldn't be excepted under permitted development because of its final use ( as holiday acc only with no restriction on use over 52 weeks per year) I would need full planning permission and to be aware highways might take issue with the access and its in a bat area, also would need new water waste facilities ( can't connect to exsisting private one even though they have no detail about private one age, location etc) I feel like I was being pushed down a full planning road as there are many more reasons to say no to it. 

I have been watching local applications over the last couple of years and I am clearly doing something wrong or saying/asdking the wrong things. Less than 2 miles away from my location in the same caravan exclusion zone planning has been given for a glamping site of 12 wooden pods, a lake, new car park, and new toilet/shower block. This is phase one! Phase 2 is 12 more pods!!! No mention of tourism need for pods, no mention of anything I was told and the conditions of approval are time of year for works, and exceptional circumstances as the pods are manufactured by the farmer further down the site of said glamping location. 1.5 miles away a B&B (old farm) has a couple of holiday cottages converted under permitted development....and has now set up glamping with 3 units with no permission applied for at all and my reply from the council?? Not willing to enter discussion regarding someone else's applications. Last but not least, and probably the one that has annoyed me the most.....application to convert old stone long house into holiday cottage, applicant unwilling to submitt details about bat survey and proposal to how he would house bats etc.....application didn't go any further. Applicant knocks down stone barn and replaces with kit form wooden lodge which covers almost three times size the old barn was. Planning dept make spot check and discover lodge and suggest he applies for retention but must suspend all work. Applicant continues all work and puts application in to keep lodge. The application gives no detail about waste water, highways, bats etc so planning officer states all reasons and policies and recommends a no. Head of planning makes a decision which is a yes approved and conditions are to place some bat housing on site...

Seems my face didn't fit??? Is there somewhere I can report this all too as I am more sure than ever something is not right?? Surely it can not be one rule for one and one for another?? 

Former Member, modified 7 Years ago.

RE: Confused about planning permissions/something odd going on?

You can report this through the Local Government Ombudsman, although they would expect you to have gone through the Council's corporate complaint system first, which may be time consumming and utterly fruitless.......LPA's are meant to treat similar forms of applicaitons in a consistant manner, and certainly are not meant to determine applications without the correct information regarding potential locations for protected species without the correct information to inform that decision. DM me if you want an off the record discussion.
thumbnail
Richard Crawley, modified 7 Years ago.

RE: Confused about planning permissions/something odd going on?

Expert Posts: 253 Join Date: 07/12/11 Recent Posts

Hello Trish

I agree with Chris. If you want to complain about the behaviour of the council, your route is to complain to the council who will be under an obligation to investigate and respond. If they fail to do that properly then you can complain higher up the food chain until eventually you end up in court. We pretend that councils are all great, and that the pre-app advice everyone gets is perfect but the reality is that councils are full of normal people who occupy a range of ability and attitude. Sometimes you get a bad one, or a good one on a bad day. 

If you want to get on with your own development you might just try to behave like the people down the road and chuck a slightly untrue application in that you then extend and ignore. 

The less risky approach is to get an agent who knows the local scene. They can help you understand how you might get a proper consent that does not put you at risk of enforcement action later on. Some people are very cavalier about planning regulations, and some get away with it. Personally I couldn't handle the risk that at some future point I might be required to rebuild the barn and lose all my money under the proceeds of crime act. 

I wonder what the local councillor thinks?