Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Enforcement order on basis of outside planning

Nidine Simmonds, modified 7 Years ago.

Enforcement order on basis of outside planning

New Member Post: 1 Join Date: 16/03/17 Recent Posts
Hello. I'm badly in need of some advice and am unable to find anything pertaining to my particularly problem on the net or from any council planning officer. We currently live in a property with an agricultural tie, before buying the property we consulted the local planning department,  outlining our plans to grown Christmas trees, but that we are not from a farming background. The officer said that we would be fine and meeting the conditions of the tie. After some objections from the neighbours, the planning department has changed it's viewpoint. Regardless of whether or not we should be in the property (we now believe we were incorrectly advised), it would appear that the property was built without planning permission 40yrs ago. The only plans in existance for the property is the outline planning. My question is, can a council issue an enforcement order on the basis of a tie on outline planning, on a property that may well have been built without full planning?
Former Member, modified 7 Years ago.

RE: Enforcement order on basis of outside planning

I'm not a planning officer but have worked with many brilliant planners when I worked as a landscape architect and in local govt & we now have our own smallholding with various planning concerns. This is my opinion

In your shoes I would call their bluff. First I would ask them to provide a copy of the agricultural restriction / tie that they issued as part of the planning permission. This would be a condition that is issued when planning approval is given. If this does not exist then neither does the tie. The dwelling might have been a seasonal workers dwelling which doesn't have the same requirements - but if it has been occupied for many many years year consistently then this will have established occupancy. If they decide to issue an enforcement notice then you have 2 avenues to argue on. The first would be in relation to the time the building has been occupied without any  enforcement (Martin Goodall's planning law blog is a useful resource here) The second would be regarding christmas trees being horticultural use (which they are)

I think the main thing you would be citing here is that horticulture is correctly classed as agriculture in the 1990 Act 

section 336(i) of the 1990 Act which states:

“agriculture” includes horticulture, fruit growing, seed growing, dairy farming, the breeding and keeping of livestock (including any creature kept for the production of food, wool, skins or fur, or for the purpose of its use in the farming of land), the use of land as grazing land, meadow land, osier land, market gardens and nursery grounds, and the use of land for woodlands where that use is ancillary to the farming of land for other agricultural purposes, and “agricultural” shall be construed accordingly;

Don't be afraid of going to appeal - it costs nothing and the Inspectors will be completely impartial. Good luck x
andy plan, modified 7 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 25 Join Date: 22/03/13 Recent Posts

Hi - there are a number of different issues to consider here but I would not sit back and wait for the Council to take action by trying to call their bluff.  That could prove extremely stressful and costly!  Also, even if teh Council decide not to take enforcement action it still won't clarify the legal status of teh house itself or future occupancy rights should you want to sell it later.

First, you should get the full planning history of the site - including a copy of the occupancy condition attached to the outline planning permission (which you preseumably saw before you purchased?).  Normally, these conditions also allow those employed in "forestry" to occupy as well as those employed in any activity falling within the definition of "agriculture" as Linda has pointed out.  However, it's not normally enough to be involved in agriculture on a "token" basis.  Occasionally, different wordings of the occupancy condition were used in the1970's/80's by different Councils and you might find that there is some flexibility provided by the specific wording of the condition (for example some conditions require occupiers to be "wholly or solely employed" in agriculture or forestry whereas others only require occupants to me "mainly" employed in that way.

Next, find out whether there was ever a subsequent "reserved matters" application to the outline permission approved OR a separate detailed planning application which you don't yet know about.  It has been known for a later, detailed planning permission to be approved without an occupancy condition and for a Council to then try to enforce the occupancy condition attached to the initial outline planning permission.

If there was only ever an outline planning permission approved at the site and the house was built without reserved matters approval or a later detailed planning permission then there is a strong case to say that the house as a whole is unauthorised development and the occupancy condition cannot be enforced.  If that is the case then you should try to get the situation resolved through the submission of an application for a Certificate of Lawfulness to prove conclusively that it is now too late for the Council to take any action against either the house itself or the way it is occupied.

A Certificate of Lawfulness application will need to be based on the detailed facts of your situation and is too involved to explain here - but if successful it should draw a line under this matter for you.

I hope this helps - good luck!

Andy

andy plan:

Hi - there are a number of different issues to consider here but I would not sit back and wait for the Council to take action by trying to call their bluff.  That could prove extremely stressful and costly!  Also, even if teh Council decide not to take enforcement action it still won't clarify the legal status of teh house itself or future occupancy rights should you want to sell it later.

First, you should get the full planning history of the site - including a copy of the occupancy condition attached to the outline planning permission (which you preseumably saw before you purchased?).  Normally, these conditions also allow those employed in "forestry" to occupy as well as those employed in any activity falling within the definition of "agriculture" as Linda has pointed out.  However, it's not normally enough to be involved in agriculture on a "token" basis.  Occasionally, different wordings of the occupancy condition were used in the1970's/80's by different Councils and you might find that there is some flexibility provided by the specific wording of the condition (for example some conditions require occupiers to be "wholly or solely employed" in agriculture or forestry whereas others only require occupants to me "mainly" employed in that way.

Next, find out whether there was ever a subsequent "reserved matters" application to the outline permission approved OR a separate detailed planning application which you don't yet know about.  It has been known for a later, detailed planning permission to be approved without an occupancy condition and for a Council to then try to enforce the occupancy condition attached to the initial outline planning permission.

If there was only ever an outline planning permission approved at the site and the house was built without reserved matters approval or a later detailed planning permission then there is a strong case to say that the house as a whole is unauthorised development and the occupancy condition cannot be enforced.  If that is the case then you should try to get the situation resolved through the submission of an application for a Certificate of Lawfulness to prove conclusively that it is now too late for the Council to take any action against either the house itself or the way it is occupied.

A Certificate of Lawfulness application will need to be based on the detailed facts of your situation and is too involved to explain here - but if successful it should draw a line under this matter for you.

I hope this helps - good luck!

Andy

Hi - yes I agree with Andy - by calling their bluff I didn't mean sitting back and doing nothing - I said ask them for the previous planning conditions and documentation so you would be more certain of the appropriate course of action! The Planning Authority is obliged to supply a copy of the applications and information regarding the decisions made on request - its why they are by law required to maintain the planning register. 

andy plan, modified 7 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 25 Join Date: 22/03/13 Recent Posts

Hi both - sorry Linda, I should have been clearer in my own reply.  Sometimes it is better to sit back and wait to see what grounds the Council think they can argue but there's a lot at stake in this case (and objectors are involved) so best to keep ahead of the curve.

Also, it would be helpful to find out WHY the Council has changed it's mind?

Andy

Hi Nidine.  Andy's advice is spot on!  In the first instance you have to get the full planning history of the site, which the Council will have as part of their Planning Register.  If all that exists is the outline permission, even if this does have an agricultural occupancy condition imposed, the house will have been built without permission.  This would mean that the house would now be lawful, and there is no occupancy restriction in place.  If there was however a reserved matters approval, submitted pursuant to the outline permission, then things might be different.  For the permission to have been lawfully implemented, it would however also have been necessary for all of the relevant conditions to have been properly discharged, and the house built in the right place, and in accordance with the approved plans.  At the end of all of this, if there is an enforceable occupant condition in place, why are the Council saying that you do not comply?  Is it because they are of the opinion that growing Christmas Trees does not fall within the definition of 'agriculture'?  In this respect, it would depend on the precise wording of the condition.  Agriculture does include horticulture, but is growing Christmas trees 'horticulture'?  The dictionary definition is the science and art of producing, improving, marketing, and using fruits, vegetables, flowers, and ornamental plants.  Regards.  Mike