Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - April

To CIL or not to CIL?

Richard Thompson, modified 7 Years ago.

To CIL or not to CIL?

New Member Post: 1 Join Date: 23/12/13 Recent Posts

Following the recent CIL review, it is currently the case that we will not know until the Autumn Budget as to what, if any, actions are to be taken to change the CIL and s106 regimes. This raises the questions as to whether to continue resourcing the CIL evidence base with the risk of funding abortive work, or pausing until the Autumn Budget, with the consequence of a further delay and lost receipts towards much needed infrastructure. Are any other forum members facing a similar dilemma and if so, do you have any thoughts or advice as to the best course of action?

Richard Holmes, modified 7 Years ago.

RE: To CIL or not to CIL?

New Member Posts: 13 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts
We are already charging CIL but I was at a meeting recently where a member of the CIL Review Panel advised that anyone working on implementing CIL should not stop.  I agree with this as it will take ages to get any new system in place and the proposed LIT isn't massively fundamentally different to CIL, for example it still needs local viability assessments and consultation.  Also, the Report recommends interim arrangements for those operating CIL.
Rebecca Randall, modified 7 Years ago.

RE: To CIL or not to CIL?

Enthusiast Posts: 60 Join Date: 06/05/14 Recent Posts
i think if you took this approach with other elements of planning you wouldnt get anything done!! I suppose it depends how far along the process you are, how much you've spent already and how much you still need to spend. Like Richard, we already have CIL in place. But not knowing your circumstances, my instinct would be to say carry on.