Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Cross boundary planning query

Former Member, modified 6 Years ago.

Cross boundary planning query

Hello, I'm working on a scheme for highway improvements linked to a small planning application. Whilst this is usually fairly straightforward, the highway in question has the council boundary split down the middle! As the works are ideally to take place across the whole road (raised table, repaving, etc) how do I deal with this from a permissions perspective? The application site itself (non highway) is in one council, the highway is in both. Do we need to submit two planing applications? Thanks for your help

andy plan, modified 6 Years ago.

RE: Cross boundary planning query

Enthusiast Posts: 25 Join Date: 22/03/13 Recent Posts

Hi - I had one of these a few years ago.  If I remember correctly, you submit identical applications to both LPAs and the fee goes to the authority with the largest part of the application site area.

Life gets complicated on these applications (especially if there's a S106 involved) and you should try to make sure both LPA's work in sync.

Occasionally, one LPA will resolve to delegate the decision to the other and will play the role of a neighbouring consultee - but much depends on Standing Orders etc.

Andy

Former Member, modified 6 Years ago.

Thanks Andy. That's useful. I know this isn't a common issue but it must come up a fair bit (in this case it's in London) and I can't believe there's no straight forward way of doing this in legislation. So, it would seem that both LPAs would need to validate, register, consult on and consider the applications? I assume that for the council within which the main application doesn't fall they would have to wait for the decision of the host council, or as you say work together...

andy plan, modified 6 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 25 Join Date: 22/03/13 Recent Posts

Hi Gareth - 'fraid so! :-(

It really is a nightmare when adfjoining LPA's have their different agendas.  Hopefully won't happen in your case if a small proposal though.

You might be lucky and find that only one Authority take on the roadworks/public highway works responsibilities.

Andy