Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Objectors Personal Details - Planning Applications and Letters of Objection

Matthew Thomas, modified 6 Years ago.

Objectors Personal Details - Planning Applications and Letters of Objection

New Member Post: 1 Join Date: 15/05/17 Recent Posts

It would be interesting to know and understand what others are doing in relation to the PARSOL Guidance on personal information and planning applications.

We have had recent enquiries about the information that we show on the Council website in relation to objectors letters to planning applications. Currently we redact email addresses, mobile number and signatures but we keep names and addresses but I know that is not a consistent approach across the country.

It has been asked whether we can remove letters of objection from the website once an application is closed i.e. it has been past period for appeal and court. Also they have asked whether it is necessary to show this information for live applications. I'm minded that the proximity of an objector to application site can be a factor in material weight afforded to it.

I wondered whether there is a minimum standard that we should adopt in relation to what information that is shown and not shown for live and closed applications. We have to maintain a planning register that must be made available for people to view on request, however, beyond that it is not so clear and there seems to be different approaches at different local authorities.

thumbnail
John Theobald, modified 6 Years ago.

RE: Objectors Personal Details - Planning Applications and Letters of Objec

Enthusiast Posts: 61 Join Date: 19/10/11 Recent Posts

On our website personal details such as signature, e-mail and telephone number are omitted. Some authorities don't seem to publish any scanned objection/support comments from the public in their application documentation, e.g. large authorities like Westminster or Birmingham.  Comment text is published in a separate tab of their viewing applications software on the web and so personal details remain automatically hidden. In the DMPO there is no mention of the inclusion of third party comments in the planning register however of course they must be made available to the public to view before the decision is made.

thumbnail
Richard Crawley, modified 6 Years ago.

Expert Posts: 254 Join Date: 07/12/11 Recent Posts

I haven't got much to add, except that I am aware that this remains a bit of a gap. 

I know practice varies, and that a couple of councils have caught a cold in the fairly recent past. 

I'm trying to get the LGA to do something about this, but it's difficult, techncial and quite dry stuff. It would be a useful addition to a service like the records retention guidance

http://retention.esd.org.uk/guidance

thumbnail
Jason Beale, modified 6 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 5 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

Given the decision by the ICO on 1st June in relation to Basildon Council and the resulting fine of £150,000 imposed on them (You can read about this on the Local Government website) which appears to contradict previous decisions about the display of financial information and that from May 2018 the Data Protection Act will be finally replaced by the EU General Data Protection Regulations 2016 resulting in much larger fines (up to 2 million euros) this is a very pressing topic indeed for all LPAs. I am currently reviewing all our procedures but I am surprised that I have not yet been able to fine any planning related forums or training events about this. The PARSOL guidance of 2006 is now out of date and so we need some updated guidance otherwise more and more councils may just decide to stop displaying comments online all together given the increased and crippling financial risks. Richard - can the PAS arrange an event to review this topic? I would be happy to host it.

Richard McEllistrum, modified 6 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 2 Join Date: 08/03/17 Recent Posts

Hello - I am the current head of Development Management at Basildon (there is a typo in the above comment - it was a £150,000 fine, not £15,000 !).  We are taking advice on appealing the notice to the Information Tribunal at present, but obviously I would second the request for PAS to help address this issue in the meanwhile.  The PARSOL guidance is somewhat vague and contradictory, LPAs are doing different things, and the ICO decision regarding Basildon is particularly odd.  Specifically regarding the level of information that the expect LPAs to hide - even when part of this information is already in the pubic domain (the relevant previous planning permission was personal to the applicant and other named residents of the site, yet the ICO believe that Basildon should conceal the identities of these persons), and where it is central to establishing the very special circumstances of a development.

Thanks,

Richard McEllistrum

thumbnail

Thanks Richard, I have corrected the typo!
thumbnail
Melanie White, modified 6 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 6 Join Date: 19/10/11 Recent Posts

Dear Mr McEllistrum

Would it be possible to view the ICO's decision, in order to give the rest of us an idea of the information they are deeming necessary to redact? As you rightly say, we're all doing things slightly differently and the need for more definitive and up to date guidance is long overdue. For some years we too have utilised the PARSOL guidance as a reference document but the decision against you is very worrying and has rather shaken our faith in our own judgement of these matters.

With regard to what should be shown and when at the various stages of an application/appeal/judicial review we utilise Appendix 3 of the 2006 PARSOL document 'Planning & Building Control Information Online'. However it is the matter of what exactly constitutes 'sensitive' information which is the most difficult to interpret. As a rule of thumb we have utilised the description given in a footnote of Appendix 1 of the 2006 PARSOL document (pg 18) Sensitive personal data is that relating to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, health, sexual life, and the commission of offences or criminal proceedings.

We make all our applications available online (in accordance with Appendix 3) and prior to publishing them to the web we check every single document received and redact them accordingly, removing telephone numbers and email addresses (unless they are businesses), signatures and anything we feel is sensitive as per the above description. However, having read the various articles and reports of the judgement against you, plus your own comments this has left us wondering if we are being sufficiently circumspect.

thumbnail
Jo Allchurch, modified 6 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 16 Join Date: 21/10/11 Recent Posts

Hi Melanie

A link to the ICO's decision can be found here:

https://ico.org.uk/action-weve-taken/enforcement/basildon-borough-council/

Hope helpful.

Thanks

Jo

thumbnail

Thank you Jo!
thumbnail
Richard Crawley, modified 6 Years ago.

Expert Posts: 254 Join Date: 07/12/11 Recent Posts

Just to confirm we are commissioning a legal update to replace the parsol guide in this area. 

There are some specific questions further up this thread that are very useful - if anyone has any other grey areas that they'd like us to explore just ping them under here. We'll also share drafts here for your input, if you want to help. 

thumbnail

Yes please Richard
thumbnail

I would also appreciate being able to help with updating the guidance Richard
Jackie Palmer, modified 6 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 3 Join Date: 19/10/11 Recent Posts

This would be very much welcomed - it feels that planning legislation & data protection requirements are rapidly moving further apart with no prospect of any clear planning specific DP guidance. I have been asked to redact an applicant's name from an application form going back to 2012 as the applicant in his current employment did not want details of his home aaddress to be on line. It is hard as the applicant's name was on the forms, the decisoin notice & also (thanks to his architect) the bottom corner of each submitted plan. Our DP Officer has asked - show me where is the legislation which requires his name to be published on line (a distinction here from an electronically held stat register) and for how long it is necessary for his details to be retained. I'm not sure that the applicants name is essential beyond the certification of land ownership (and subsequently on appeal) but in making the form aavailable on line the details are part of the form & are hence uploaded. Similar issue with holding objectors name and address beyond the determination stage. As a short term measure I am likely to remove forms & objections from the on line system once applications are determined. A host of questions about file retention follow so if this could be considered that would also be very welcome.

Thanks

Richard McEllistrum, modified 6 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 2 Join Date: 08/03/17 Recent Posts

Hello Melanie,

I am sure that by now you have read the decision and have more of a view as to what information led to the fine.  The decision refers to personal information (name, age, address) as well as sensitive personal information (health issues and educational needs of named individuals) being present in the supporting statement.

Appendix 1 to the ICO / PARSOL guidance states that:

"10 In general information published on the Internet in respect of planning applications will not be sensitive11. In these cases it is likely that paragraph 5(d) of schedule 2 will provide the relevant condition for putting personal data on the Internet. That is:

The processing is necessary for the exercise of any other functions of a public nature exercised in the public interest by any person.

11 Where sensitive information is involved, as might be the case if a planning appeal is being made and the health of the applicant is an issue, a schedule 3 condition will need to be met. One possible condition will be consent (paragraph 1 of schedule 3). This is unless the local authority can demonstrate that paragraph 7(1)(b) of schedule 3 applies, i.e. that:

The processing is necessary for the exercise of any functions conferred on any person by or under an enactment.

12 In cases where a local authority has concerns that it might be publishing sensitive personal data on the Internet the authority should consider discussing the issue with the individual concerned before doing so.”

In this case, our argument was that the information was submitted freely by the applicant in order to support their application to modify the limits imposed by a personal condition attached to a prior consent allowed at appeal.  That previous appeal decision included reference to the names, addresses, health issues and educational needs of the then current residents on the site, and identified these matters as being sufficient when viewed as a whole, to demonstrate very special circumstances capable of allowing inappropriate development in the Green Belt.  The personal condition named (and thus personally identified) the principal occupants permitted.

The identities of the new, expanded group of occupants, their health and educational needs are central to the principle of development (they are the principle reason why the original development was allowed), and thus our position was that this accorded with the ICO advice in the PARSOL guide.  The application was submitted including an application form which included the standard text notifiying applicants that supporting information may be published online.  We have no reason to believe that the applicant had any doubt that the information they submitted as part fo their application woudl be disclosed, as it had done in relation to the previous appeal.

The recent ICO monetary penalty seems to sidestep that allowance / consideration, and the need to publish this information as part of the exercise of the function to assess the planning application.

It is very difficult to identify where the line is here, as the penalty arose through both personal and sensitive personal information.  The former is unavoidable in pretty much every application , where the name and address of the applicant is generally obvious (in housholder applicatiosn at least).  For applications involving personal conditions, again, it is essentially impossible to not identify the relevant individuals.  In regard to sensitive information, the PARSOL guide as a whole and the ICO  appendix appear to allow the LPA to decide what is relevant and necessary to publish, where some warning has been offered as to how that information will be treated and publicised.  The judgement against Basildon throws that up in the air, so I cannot advise anyone what to do until an appeal is decided or new guidance is issued.

All I would suggest though, is that every LPA has a written data protection policy and targeted training for the staff who screen / check the application documents.  The PARSOL Guidance advocates double checking with an applicant, to ensure that they really want to have the information submitted to be published (even though they will have signed forms or submitted online, and seen at least one, if not several notices, reminding them that the information they submit may or will be placed online( the Planning Portal require the user to tick a declaration acknowledging that "this application will be made available as part of a public register and also be published on the authoritiy's website" ).  We referred staff to the PARSOL guidance, and had a general data protection policy, but clearly this is not enough from the ICO's perspective.. 

Richard

Former Member, modified 6 Years ago.

I'm coming to this very late in the day, and am really only making a point out of interest.  I regularly submit applications for Certificates of Lawful Use or Development, for the siting of caravans for ancillary residential use (i.e. as an 'annex' to a house).  Normally, but not always, the caravan will be occupied by an elderly relative or relatives.  In every one of my Supporting Statements I set out in detail who will occupy the caravan, their age and their current medical condition.  I do so in order to reassure the LPA that the caravan will not be occupied independently of the main dwelling, and that on this basis there will be no material change of use of land.  I have done c50 such applications to date.  In most (but not all) cases my Supporting Statement is published on the LPA's website, even though applications for CLEUDS/CLOPUDS do not have to be publicised.  Never has one of my Statements ever been redacted!
thumbnail

YIKES!!!  surprise
Former Member, modified 6 Years ago.

Yikes indeed Melanie. However, one of the key issues here which has not been addressed is the differnece between information kept in the planning  ( and other)  registers and freely available online. This is vitally important, i will sum up the situation as follows:

The Data Protection Act  1988, places a duty on ANY staff who handle , the collection , storage , use and disclosure of data in whatever form. Those staff are data controllers who must have appropriate training in following the eight data principles when handling planning information. Particular note must be made of 'personal idenifiers' which can be in any form, not just signatures, email addresses, phone numbers and addresses, but which identify who the person is. These can form part of the controlled statutory register but must be redacted where there is unrestricted public access e.g. downloadable from the website. Not only should officers be appropriately trained, but there should be management procedures in place to ensure human errors are not made.'

You do not have permission to access the requested resource.