Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Stop Administering Extension Exemptions

thumbnail
Amanda Driver, modified 6 Years ago.

Stop Administering Extension Exemptions

New Member Posts: 5 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

Hi,

We adopted CIL in Feb and are getting lots of complaints from agents regarding the amount of administration required for residential extensions over 100m2.  As there is no clawback period and 99.99% of extensions are self build, we want to consider no longer administering these types of applications.  

Are there are any authorities which have already stopped dealing with residential extensions? I would really appreciate some guidance.

Claire Woods, modified 6 Years ago.

RE: Stop Administering Extension Exemptions

Enthusiast Posts: 34 Join Date: 19/06/13 Recent Posts

Hi Amanda,

Sheffield City Council don't do the administration for householder extensions.  We decided when we adopted that we didn't have the resources to deal with them and we wouldn't get any income to cover cost.  So we don't ask for any CIL forms for householder extensions.  We do however ask for CIL forms if it is a developer extending a domestic property.

Regards

Claire

Simon Anstey, modified 6 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 74 Join Date: 17/07/15 Recent Posts

That sounds a very sensible approach Claire. Did your members have to formally approve this policy and did you have to do any work to ensure that what you are doing is legal in terms of administering the CIL regs?

Has Sheffield adopted any other common sense policies such as dealing with cases where a Form 6 is not submitted in time?

Thanks

Claire Woods, modified 6 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 34 Join Date: 19/06/13 Recent Posts

Hi Simon, 

The details were sorted by my manager at the time but I'm sure he will have done it via our legal team.

Not sure what you mean about common sense policies when dealing with cases where a Form 6 is not submitted in time.  If the Form 6 is not submitted in time we would take it as deemed commencement.

Regards

Claire

Moira White, modified 6 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 26 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

Hi Amanda,

We decided soon after the 2014 amendments came in, which introduced exemptions from CIL for household extensions, that we     would not charge CIL for any household extensions. I prepared a paper for our Members which looked at the staff costs and              resources  that would be necessary to assess the paperwork associated with this element of CIL together with the associated           bureaucracy for applicants. I took legal advice in advance of proceeding with this. Regards, Moira

thumbnail
Amanda Driver, modified 6 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 5 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

Thank for your help, much appreciated. 

I am going to start putting a report together.