Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Using Article 4 Direction to require permission for small HMOs

Jonathan Pheasant, modified 3 Years ago.

Using Article 4 Direction to require permission for small HMOs

Advocate Posts: 158 Join Date: 23/05/11 Recent Posts

We have noticed an increasing number of applications for large HMOs (more than 6 people, Sui Generis) and are getting an increasing number of objections from residents and communities. We deal with these applications based on our up to date plan policies and the NPPF.

We are now considering the possibility of using Article 4 Direction to require planning applications for the C4 (3-6 person HMOs). 

I was interested in whether any other authorities have used Article 4 to control small HMOs and how successful it has been. What is the balance of increased workload against the actual ability to have robust decision making control? Have to got HMO specific policies to refer to?

On the large HMOs the obvious considerations are amenity and character where HMOs (particularly proliferation) might affect the character of an area.  I guess this may be more difficult to measure for smaller HMOs where maybe 3 or 4 people might be living as an unrelated household. 

It is a difficult area because as simply a use, they are a residential use, so in a residential area it is sometimes difficult to differentiate between a small HMO and a household with a large family living in it where several people may have cars and come and go about their business etc.

I think the representations we are getting is that certain areas are becoming intensified with so many HMOs it is affecting the character of the area and taking up what could be family homes. The issue of need for family homes and lack of control to keep houses as family accommodation is one key point.

If anyone has any experience and/or is using Article 4 for small HMOs I'd be grateful for some insight into how successful you think it is.

Thanks

Jon

You do not have permission to access the requested resource.