Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Surface water drainage - fulfilling planning conditions?

John Martin, modified 6 Years ago.

Surface water drainage - fulfilling planning conditions?

New Member Posts: 14 Join Date: 12/11/16 Recent Posts

I'd appreciate a bit of advice here on an application approved in 2015, with conditions attached requiring the approval of a surface water drainage scheme, along with details as to how the scheme is to be maintained and managed after completion.

The developer is attempting to meet the condition and claims that no SUDS scheme is required because there are only 9 houses.  He also claims that a management company funded and run by the owners of those 9 houses is sufficient to discharge the maintenance and management condition.

A SUDS scheme would have been adopted by the local water company, and that would have met the maintenance and management condition.  What's now being proposed, though, is not a full SUDS scheme, and won't be adopted by the water company.  To my mind, I see potential problems with the management company route, simply because if the new house owners decide not to fund it, and not to maintain the drainage scheme because of the cost, the maintenance simply will not happen.  The scheme is such that they themselves would not suffer, because the run-off would not affect them in any way.

Any thoughts, please, as to whether a full SUDS scheme should be a requirement.  And if not, whether a management company such as this (very common) should be regarded as discharging the conditions relating to future management and maintenance?