Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Nationally Described Space Standards and Prior Approval

Jonathan Pheasant, modified 3 Years ago.

Nationally Described Space Standards and Prior Approval

Advocate Posts: 158 Join Date: 23/05/11 Recent Posts

I see the Secretary of State has announced that the Nationally Described Space Standards will be required to be met in all residential Prior Approval schemes. This is good news for quality/amenity in new development.

However, I'm not sure if I have read the details correctly, but it only applies to Prior Approval schemes? So what about schemes coming through the normal application system? The Framework says that "Policies MAY also make use of the nationally described space standard, where the need for an internal space standard can be justified." (My emphasis). So as I understand it you can only really use the national space standards as a reason for refusal if you have a policy in your adopted plan which has evidenced the need to use the standards. That means all PD resi will need to meet the standards but other development wont. I realise that the London Plan includes the requirement, but what about everywhere else? 

In terms of justifying the need, surely the space standards themselves as self-justifying? They are standards, set out by Government and stating that rooms/dwellings should be a minimum size. So what is their purpose? Surely it's to ensure a minimum level of amenity/quality/satisfactory living environment. In which case that is why they are needed. Surely the acceptability of the size of a room you are living in does not vary from place to place? 

I'd suggest that the National Space Standards should be mandatory across the board, particularly in the context of the high quality homes that are going to be required in the new planning system. Personally I think they should be part of the Building Regulations and not a matter for planning policy because all residential properties should meet them. 

I am happy to be corrected if the move is to cover all resi developments but the information I have read has only mentioned Prior Approval.

Cheers all