Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Amending existing/ putting new Article 4 Directions in place

Judith Orr, modified 3 Years ago.

Amending existing/ putting new Article 4 Directions in place

New Member Posts: 3 Join Date: 16/01/20 Recent Posts

Article 4 Directions (A4Ds) preventing office to resi. conversions came into effect in July 2020 in a number of locations in the Council area. These therefore fall within the 'material period', under the Amendment Regulations and are held in abeyance, as I understand it, until July 2021.

I am looking to see whether it is possible to vary or make new A4Ds for these areas. However, it is difficult to see how we can amend an A4D in line with something which is held in abeyance and also whether this would have any effect in the future in view of the changes being held in abeyance. Also it is unknown at present what further changes will be made to the GDPO and what Guidance will be published. In addition, there is the uncertainty relating to the current legal challenge in the High Court seeking permission to judicially review the changes to the UCO and GPDO and how these were bought into effect.

I would be interested to know whether other Councils have grappled with these issues or whether like me, they are awaiting the outcome of the High Court challenge, new guidance and changes to the GDPO before seeing what can be done.