Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

S106

Former Member, modified 3 Years ago.

S106

I have a  planning scenario where my local planning authority are asking for a S106 Unilateral undertaking Deed to be signed by both myself and my Bank. Unfortunately there is an issue on one of the clauses.

The local planning authority require the following:

The Mortgagee consents to the Owner entering into the obligations contained in this Deed and acknowledges that the Land shall be bound by the restrictions and obligations contained in this Deed and that it’s security shall take effect subject to this Deed PROVIDED THAT the Mortgagee (and any other  person  who acquires an interest in the Land only as a mortgagee) shall not be liable in respect of any breach of the terms of this Deed unless and until it takes possession of the Land or the Development is continued by or at the instigation of a receiver, administrator, liquidator or other agent appointed by the Mortgagee (or other mortgagee)  or with its consent.

Whereas the bank are asking for the following:

The Mortgagee consents to the Owner entering into the obligations contained in this Deed and acknowledges that the Land shall be bound by the restrictions and obligations contained in this Deed. The Mortgagee shall only be liable for breach of this Deed if such breach is committed by the Mortgagee itself whilst in possession of the Land and shall not be liable for any pre-existing breaches prior to taking possession of the Land.

From my understanding the key difference is that the local planning authority  say that the Bank would be liable for any pre existing breaches if and when it takes possession of the property. Whereas then bank wants it to be clear that it would not want to be liable for any breaches that it did not commit.

I did some research and it appears to me that the version of the clause that the bank are asking for is fairly standard as I have seen multiple examples of it on the web. My local authority has said the version they use is standard as well. To be honest I believe the version that the local authority are  using is a customised version and not standard.

I’m now stuck between two rocks and don’t known what to do, does anyone have any suggestions here?

Thanks

IA