Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - April

Permitted development rights removed, but sheds erected - house sale?

John Martin, modified 3 Years ago.

Permitted development rights removed, but sheds erected - house sale?

New Member Posts: 14 Join Date: 12/11/16 Recent Posts

Getting on for 20 years ago we had a struggle with our local authority planners to get detailed planning permission for a house, although outline had already been granted. The planners (all of whom were strangely cleared out in a matter of days for reasons unknown some time back) were opposed to anything non-pastiche which didn't look like a Barratt house.  They wanted a box to match 60s and 70s estate development, even though the plot wasn’t on an estate, and wasn’t in any kind of restricted development area.  The house was architect-designed, green, and reflected contemporary design, though not remotely outrageous.

The upshot was that the officers were overruled by the planning committee (we were there and put our case) but in what looked very much like a fit of pique, or at least a face-saving exercise, the officers persuaded the planning committee to remove the permitted development rights.  The final consent contained this clause:

"No building, extension or structure shall be erected or placed within the curtilage of the dwelling without express planning permission from the District Planning Authority."

The reasoning being:

"Due to the nature and limited extent of the site, and in order that the District Planning Authority may assess the acceptability of such proposals in the interests of amenity."

The site, incidentally is around a third of an acre, no other houses within 75 metres, and the footprint of the house is at most 250 square metres, with garden all round it.

Over recent years we've put up two small sheds and a greenhouse - all compliant with the permitted development rules. I emailed the local authority about these and was advised that no planning permission was needed. I did not, admittedly, refer to the removal of permitted development rights, but I did give full name and address.

My concern is that there may be problems when we, or our children, sell the house.  My view is, though, rightly or wrongly, that:

1 The removal of permitted development rights was unreasonable and unenforceable, and

2 The confirmation by the local authority planning department that the buildings did not need planning consent puts a final seal on it.

I'd very much appreciate the views of someone with expertise in these matters, as to whether there’s likely to be any problem on sale in a few years’ time.  I’m tempted to challenge the removal of permitted development rights, but I have no idea what the chances of success might be, how long it might take, and what it might cost.  I’m also loath to stir up a potential hornets’ nest, particularly when the email would seem to cover the situation anyway.  One of the buildings has been up for 10 years, and one for 5 – not sure whether this is also relevant.

You do not have permission to access the requested resource.