Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Bat Surveys

Graham Stephenson, modified 2 Years ago.

Bat Surveys

New Member Posts: 3 Join Date: 29/04/21 Recent Posts

Hi, I'm interested to know how other LPA's are currently dealing with bat surveys and specifically in relation to householder planning applications. I have recently stepped in to assist the householder team at my Authority to help them great through this exceptionally busy period and also to carry out a review of their processes. One of the issue that has been raised is the issues the validation officers are having when asking for bat surveys. We currently ask for them at the validation stage, which inevitably leads to a lot of back and forth with the applicant and in many cases un-necessary abuse. If I'm honest we need to look at how we do things as a whole but to allow us to do this, we need to make some space to breath and one of my thoughts was to pause asking for bar surveys at the validation stage. During this pause we would still identify whether the property poses a risk i.e close to woodland etc but instead attach a suitably worded condition. I know this is risky and it would be preferable to consult the Councils ecologist for his view as part of the assessment process, but he is equally under pressure and does not have the capacity to look at the applications, within a reasonable timeframe. I also appreciate that asking for surveys through conditions might be seen as passing the problem down the line but it would be good to know if anyone does anything similar and whether it is a risk worth taking and seeing how it goes.