Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Policy to promote housing on unallocated sites?

Steve Johnson, modified 2 Years ago.

Policy to promote housing on unallocated sites?

New Member Posts: 9 Join Date: 21/08/18 Recent Posts

I was wondering if anyone out there had written (or tried to write) a policy which seeks to ensure housing development is considered before other uses are allowed to come forward. Clearly, if we've identified a potential housing site and it is of sufficient size to be allocated then that is what we'll seek to do through the local plan. However, this is for those sites that haven't be allocated for housing that come forward during the plan period for other uses but which are good housing sites. In our experience, the pressure for such sites has tended to come from retail uses, though it could be for anything non-resi. Retail proposals will be subject to other tests, but these just test whether they are appropriate sites in retail terms, not whether the site could be better used for something else. Given our housing situation, the need to develop suitable sites to increase supply and deliver of homes is critical. However, the housing supply situation is simply a material consideration, which it is reasonable to assume would be given limited weight by an Inspector were you to try to refuse an otherwise acceptable retail proposal on those grounds. 

My question, therefore, is: Does anyone know of anywhere that has tried to write a policy which requires a developer to show that a site could not reasonably used for housing and that there is no demand for the site to be used for that purpose? It feels like a long-shot (both in policy terms and for anyone to have tried it!) and I wouldn't suggest we apply this to sites in employment allocations, for example, or for sites in designated centres. However, seeing perfectly decent housing sites being redeveloped for supermarkets when we're desperate for housing land is becoming increasingly depressing.