Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Neighbour letters and site notices - what are folks doing?

Dave Tidy, modified 2 Years ago.

Neighbour letters and site notices - what are folks doing?

New Member Posts: 8 Join Date: 17/06/21 Recent Posts

We’re wanting to reduce postage costs within our planning service and we’re exploring a few options – very interested to hear from other councils who have made changes to their process to achieve the same ends.

Essentially we have two main costs:

1. Posting out the site notices to officers so that they can put them up

2. Sending letters to neighbours informing them of a planning application nearby

With regards to 1)…

I believe some councils are now sending the site notice to the applicant for them to put up themselves, and asking the applicant to email a picture of the site notice in place (to meet the requirements).  Have you experienced any problems doing this?

With regards to 2)…

Have any councils moved over to emailing out neighbour letters or simply stopped them altogether?  Again, any problems or experiences with doing this?

I’ve a few things to explore around this yet (how comprehensive an emailing list of residents do we have, for example), and I’m also exploring our own regulations/stated ways of working (example: our council’s business plan states that we will ‘make decisions [not just planning] in a transparent, open and inclusive way’ which ceasing altogether may fall foul of).

I’m also aware of two previous threads on this subject (which are quite old now):

Re: Planning Application Adjoining Owner / Occupier Notification Letters - Forum - Planning Advisory Service (PAS) - Knowledge Hub (khub.net)

Re: Site Notice or Neighbour Letter - Postal Charges increase. - Forum - Planning Advisory Service (PAS) - Knowledge Hub (khub.net)

If you've made changes in these two areas however, I'd be really interested to hear how you got on.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

You do not have permission to access the requested resource.