Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - Heddiw

Differential CIL due to utility infrastructure costs

Former Member, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

Differential CIL due to utility infrastructure costs

I have been investigating an electrical distribution network's capacity to support proposed growth and concluded that there is about £100m of reinforcement costs required to the network on top of the costs developers would normally expect to pay for connections. This may affect the viability of the developments. Should a council analyse the reinforcement costs to confirm them before determining a CIL for the development area.? Should a differential CIL be used in such circumstances taking into account the additional costs of the development?
Former Member, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

Re: Differential CIL due to utility infrastructure costs

No one appears to have tried to respond yo your query Hugh! The figure you refer to sounds unusually high. Did you calculate it yourself? Does it include expensive projects like burying cables? If you got the information from the utilities I wonder if they included costs that they are normally expected to meet themselves or if they are simply inflating the figures. Some years ago there was an EP Report trhat waxed lyrical on that problem. In any event CIL cannot be differentiated by costs so it seems to me that you have two options Either you impose the extra cost on everyone, or you break down the infrastructure needed into packages that can be funded through S106 under the '5 instnaces' rules.