Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - Wythnos yma

S106 Contributions

Former Member, Addaswyd 11 Years yn ôl.

S106 Contributions

We are currently reviewing our S106 process for new agreements. I am looking to get an idea of how other Local Authorities negotiate S106 agreements. I am interested to know what the internal process is for deciding what contributions take priority over others. Who has the final decision as to what goes into the S106 and do task/finish groups/meetings take place between officers of different departments to aid the decision making process.

Re: S106 Contributions

Hello Laura, I don't know if you remember me but we met a few years back at a S106 workshop in Doncaster - hope you are well! We use a corporate Development Team system to negotiate S106 at Colchester Borough Council, which directly involves officers from stakeholder areas such as affordable housing, POS, leisure, community facilities, education, highways etc in the negotiation process. If you would like further information or a copy of our protocol please feel free to e-mail me kerry.stapleton@colchester.gov.uk

Hi Laura. Kerry's advice is good but don't underestimate the time involved. Top tips include: compile your shopping list using the core strategy; involve senior officers (decision makers); enable member buy-in; front-loading (i.e. begin the discussions at pre-app, especially for 'majors'); balance local vs strategic priorities; involve the developer where appropriate; get viability advice. Above all try to be realistic.and don't overload the scheme with unreasonable asks.Remember the scheme has to be viable and get built to secure the benefits.

Hi Laura, I note that your Council is not progressing the adoption of CIL at present. At present s.106 is therefore a major issue for you. From April next year however your use of s.106 will be greatly restricted. Is it therefore worth working up a complex protocol for short term usage?

Hi Laura The Advisory Team for Large Applications (ATLAS) have been involved in quite a bit of this kind of thing in relation to negotiations on large scale schemes. Some of the learning and potential solutions was extracted into a set of papers which you may want to flick over. You can find this material here> http://www.atlasplanning.com/page/topic/index.cfm?coArticleTopic_articleId=121&coSiteNavigation_articleId=121 Happy to talk things through if that’d be helpful, contact details are on the above website.