Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Social Housing Relief - Use of KQR

Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

Social Housing Relief - Use of KQR

I am having difficulty in understanding the use of the Kqr term in the formula contained in the latest version of Reg. 50(6). The definition of Kqr seems contradictory to me. Kqr relates (a) to buildings which were in lawful use at the time PP permitted the development. In general any such building would not be liable for CIL but (c) relates Kqr to buildings on which CIL would be chargeable but for social housing relief. Am I missing something here? Can anyone set out a scenario in which Kqr would come into play? I would have sent this question to the DCGL "CIL Hotline" as well but, in the past, I have never received replies or even acknowledgements to messages. Has anyone else received responses from DCLG o CIL matters?
Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

Re: Social Housing Relief - Use of KQR

If you didn’t minus Kqr I think you would be giving too much relief because you have already discounted the converted floorspace when making the calculation in Part 5. In Part 5 (c) it describes Kr as “will be chargeable at rate R” as well even though it is being minus’d in the formula. Example: Proposal for C3 development 400sqm new build and 200sqm conversion in lawful use. Social Housing comprises 100sqm of the new build and 50sqm of the conversion. Rate £30 No demolition Chargeable floor area before relief: (Gr total proposed floorspace –Kr conversion) 600sqm – 200 sqm = 400sqm Charge = 400*30 = £12,000 Relief (Qr total proposed floorspace relief – Kqr relief conversion) 150sqm – 50sqm = 100sqm Relief = 100*30 = £3,000 Final charge = 12,000 – 3,000 = £9,000 But if I hadn’t minus’d Kqr I would be giving a relief based on 150sqm – but 50sqm of that was already taken off the charge because it was also within the 200sqm (Kr) We haven't got to the point of awarding any relief yet...