Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

CIL, exception sites and affordable

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

CIL, exception sites and affordable

We are looking at implementing CIL in July and a number of questions keep arising. The most recent being the relationship between exception sites, CIL and the money given to the Parish Council’s. The example I have is that we have an exception site of 8 affordable homes which won’t have to pay CIL. However, it will still be 8 homes being built in the Parish so as I understand it they will still be entitled to 15% (no neighbourhood plan in place) of CIL monies. However, as none is collected from the development then does this mean that that they get 15% of nothing i.e. no money? This seems slightly at odds with the idea of CIL and actually has wider connotations for larger schemes as well. Any comments would be appreciated.

Re: CIL, exception sites and affordable

I'm afraid I can't see any other answer - 15% of nothing is nothing. However the site may still be liable for S106 contributions that may have a benefit to the community and which in some cases could be paid to the PC? It may also be worth remembering that there is an additional NHB bonus for AH - equates to about £2k / home in total. I don't know what your council is using the NHB for - many are using it for revenue purposes due to budget pressures - but in theory they could direct some of it to the Parish?

Re: CIL, exception sites and affordable

Hi Yes my understanding is the PC would receive £0 from their 15% share. However the CIL Regulations do allow the Charging Authority to spend monies raised anywhere in the area, rovided it is spent to deliver the local plan of course. So the Borough/District Council could always spend some of the CIL monies it holds in that parish if as a council you thought this was necessary to support the local plan.