Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Exceptional Circumstances Relief

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

We are in the process of potentially approving an application for Exceptional Circumstances Relief - subject to the development demonstrating compliance with the CIL Regulations eligibility criteria and locally defined criteria.

I realise not every Authority has decided to offer Exceptional Circumstances Relief, but for those that have, did you introduce any locally specific criteria?

I also wondered if anyone has already gone through this process and successfully approved a development for Exceptional Circumstances Relief?

I've been researching this issue too, and so far have not found one LPA who has set any local criteria for exceptional relief. 

Simon Pickstone, modified 10 Years ago.

Advocate Posts: 104 Join Date: 22/04/13 Recent Posts

One reason for not wanting to be explicit about what criteria may apply is that it gives LAs discretion as to how/when they might apply it without the risk of 'opening the flood gates' to multiple applications?

Daniel, can you share what local criteria for granting such relief have been set in your case? One of the things I have always thought would be a worthy candidate for such relief is regeneration projects which deliver tangible local economic, social and environmental benefits which might not otherwise be realised in the current economic circumstances i.e. they are not motivated purely by business or profit-making objectives...or indeed may be delivered with no initial (development) profit to the investor at all?

Simon,

Our central local requirement is that any development that is suitable for ECR must contribute to the delivery of identified community priorities. Community priorities include facilities, services or infrastructure that has been identified within the LDF Implementation Plan or relevant Place Plan. Within Shropshire 18 Place Plans have been developed and are updated annually. This update is based on a questionnaire sent to local town/parish councils and key infrastructure providers, within which we ask them to identify and prioritise infrastructure priorities - although not all of these priorities are suitable for inclusion within our Regs 123 list, these documents do inform its content.

Basically we have stipulated that if a development is going to benefit from ECR it should be meeting local infrastructure priorities through some other means. In relaity this links well to your suggested criteria, but also emphasises our commitment to localism.

Thanks Daniel,I guess it all still comes down to the fact that the underlying reason for seeking 'developer contributions' in the first place (S106, CIL, Conditions) is to put towards mitigating the impacts of the development on infrastructure and services etc. (the very things we are still using to judge the grant of ECR upon)? In reality we tend to only ever be partially successful at mitigating the short-term impacts of development and are less better at the longer-term stuff (local gov. normally ends up, for example, adopting assets which fall to the tax payer to fund over time). 

If the grant of relief effectively amounts to a reduction in the overall contribution, the key challenge will be to agree what still needs to be mitigated for and what that equates to in financial terms? It could be risky simply to stipulate that you will grant relief if the development 'contributes to the delivery of identified community priorities' without being more explicit as to how much that contribution should be? I understand we need to be pro-growth (although logic dictates it cannot be sustained indefinitely), but we should only grant permission for development which does not mitigate its impacts to the point where it is acceptable in planning terms, if it delivers sufficient benefits which balance out the effects on infrastructure and services etc.? The only things which could do this, in my opinion, are bringing forward benefits which are needed now but may not be realised in the current economic climate for some time to come e.g. employment opportunities, enhanced amenity/environment etc. The benefit of securing these now, rather than in say 10 years time, would have to outweigh the costs we would theoretically have sought to mitigate for as part of a standard planning agreement.

Simon,

I tend to agree with you, any contribution to the delivery of identified community priorities does mean actual provision of an infrastructure priority identified by the local community that may not come forward through CIL or a Planning Obligation.

The priority is to make developers aware that it is not purely a financial consideration as to whether they are eligible for relief but also a consideration of whether the development is contributing to infrastructure provision - we have had examples of developers who believe they are eligible for relief simply because of viability issues, despite that fact that CIL viability is considered when setting the rates and not for each individual application.

If any other local criteria is being introduced I would be very interested in hearing about it.

Similarly if anyone has already gone through this process and successfully approved a development for Exceptional Circumstances Relief it would be interesting to know about.

Thanks Daniel, forgive me for my dogged persistence with this topic, but i find it both interesting and important.

If one was to agree relief on the basis of delivering something not already identified as part of the 'Local Plan' (in its broadest sense), i would suggest it would have to be backed up with a robust explanation and demonstration that it delivers added value over and beyond that which carries material weight in a planning decision which balances out the negative impacts of the development that the Planning Authority is tasked with addressing as part of the planning process.

Assuming that any request for relief would come post the granting of planning permission (potentially also including a package of S106 Obligations) it is something which is considered after the traditional planning process has run its course (apart, of-course, from following up on obligations, sticking to a timetable and discharging conditions etc.).

One of the problems I think is that planning permissions are being considered and granted on the assumption that a CIL payment will be forthcoming. If ECR is subsequently granted it is effectively compromising the principles upon which the planning permission was granted. Therefore, I would argue that by granting ECR one is effectively compromising the principles underpinning the process of managing development through the planning system. However, I find it hard to come up with many examples of things which don't carry material planning weight which could be considered reasonable compensation for a discounted CIL payment? I keep coming back to the case of neutral/zero profit regeneration development as the only example I can think of?

Simon,

I do agree with you, and it comes down to the fact that ECR is only be be used in very exceptional circumstances - for very exceptional development.

The benefit of this particulat local criteria for ECR is that if a development is to gain relief after the event then it will still be contributing to infrastructure provision to some extent, although granted this could have been a factor in granting the development permission in the first place (another criteria that could be used when determining relief is whether the infrastructure provided is considered an intrinsic element of the scheme or not, and if so should it therefore be double counted? This would be dependent on the actual infrastructure itself I guess?).

Furthermore, Given that the national criteria includes the need for a S106 of a greater amount and the need to demonstrate that CIL is making the development unviable, if a development is able to demonstrate compliance with all these factors, granting of relief seem to be a suitable consideration. Having said that ECR is discretionary and a Local Authority is not required to grant it, therefore if there is concern about the scheme and its contribution/ impact on the infrastructure of an area, then an Authoirty has the discretion not to approve relief.  

You could argue that the impact of ECR is similar to applications for relief/re-negotiation of Affordable Housing contributions - the initial permission is granted with the expectation that the development will contribute to the delivery of Affordable Housing to one extent, only to find it is to a different extent (or not at all).

In order to be compliant with the Regulations, once the s.106 hurdle has been got over, the LPA just has to consider it to be "expedient" to grant relief. The judgement as to what is expedient is left totally to the LPA.

I would have thought it it would be better not to attempt to develop a policy that may fit all circumstances but to judge each application on its particular merits.

Daniel, I would have thought that it would be reasonable to grant relief for purely financial reasons. Viability studies are, by their very nature, broad brush approaches and will not cover all possible development situations. For example, a brown field site being developed for housing that has exceptionally  high demolition and clean up costs may be considered as being suitable for relief.

Having said all the above, I am glad that my authority has resolved to to offer ECR! 

Hi all,

I have just finished drafting our ECR policy and thought I would attempt to provide some more specific advice on how we might deal with applications.

Firstly I have thought about how we may restrict the number of applications for which the value of the S.106 would exceed CIL in order to avoid needed to deal with an excessive number of applications. I am not aware of any advice on how one might attibute a value to complying with the S.106 but have made the following statement as to how we might:

"When calculating the cost of complying with the S.106 no value will be attibuted to the provision of affordable housing or On-Site infrastructure as defined in Chapter 28 of our Core Strategy" (that needed to enable the development to be built and occupied (e.g access roads, foul drainage sewers)

It appears logical to me to exclude the cost of Affordable Housing as we have already adjusted the CIL rate to account for the delivery of Affordable Housing in accordance with our Core Strategy. Our draft Reg.123 list obviously limits the other elements for which S.106 may be charged.

I also state that ECR will only be available where:

a) it can be demonstrated that the requirements of the S.106 provide items of infrastructure which have been identified as essential infrastructure within the Council's annual Infrastructure Business Plan (a rolling three year programme of infrastructure upon which we will allocate CIL) or

b) the infrastructure item secured via the S.106 has been identifed as being neccessary to support development in a Development Plan Document or Supplementary Planning Document or

c) the  chargeable development would constitute a large scale major development (definition from PS2)

Any views on our approach would be appreciated.

Robert

I have read this discussion with interest - although I'm a little perplexed by some of it. Tacking a look at the basics you should only ask for s 106 that meet the tests in the CIL regs. So it is taken as read that the items in the s 106 are essential. Then when it comes to a development that qualifies for exceptional relief the reason for it is that 'it enables the charging authority to avoid rendering sites with specific and exceptional cost burdens unviable should exceptional circumstances arise.'  So as it will be related to the specifics of the site, and the choice to give it on an individual basis will lie with the authorities, and can only be based on viability.  Making exceptional circumstances relief will probably come down to an authorities attitude towards, or need to, deliver their growth.  I am surprised that policies are being created to decide who can apply? And after all- it is limited by the state aid rules in any event.

Gillian, it strikes me that there is a (perhaps irrational) fear that local authorities may be inundated with claims for ECR if it is offered and this is not eased by statements such as those used in the DCLG CIL-Further Reforms consultation where at paragraphs 76 and 77 of the document it was proposed to change the ECR tests in order to encourage its greater use. My authority appears to be in a minority offering ECR; others have clearly been put off from doing so. We are pro-growth and therefore wish to offer some flexibility in cases where there may be viability issues in charging both S.106 and CIL. We recognise that infrastructure may be secured more effectively by S.106 and are happy to facilitate this where appropriate. Whether my proposed approach (to restrict the use of ECR to such cases where the infrastructure provided is of wider benefit than just to the site itself/a priority for the Borough) deals with the issues of 'specifc and exceptional costs'  will be seen,  though I expect in most cases these 'specific and exceptional costs' will arise from 'large scale major developments' which I have identified as being appropriate for ECR in any event. 

Robert,

The CIL Regs do not allow you to cherry pick which elements of a s.106 you will take into account. An applicant for relief has to provide with their application, (together with other things) an independant assesment of the cost of complying with the requirements of the s.106.

As Gillian points out there shouls not be any requirements in s.106 agreements that do not meet the tests. 

Tony,

Thank you for your comments. Although I appreciate the need for the value of complying with a S.106 to be independently assessed (and indeed would encourage this given a lack of in house expertise in delivering certain infrastructure items), I struggle to locate any guidance as to how this assessment should be undertaken by independent persons or what may be included in the assessment. Is there are role for the Charging Authority in providing guidance thereon or does this go beyond the scope of the Regulations?

We limit the content of our S.106 to those items which meet the tests and will need to be even more careful when drafting legal agreements in the near future. I can, however, see scenarios where the "S.106 cost" could easily exceed the CIL charge without neccessarily being "exceptional" (particularly if the cost for providing affordable housing are included). The concern remains that for every ten ECR applications only one may be appropriate unless we clarify how we might consider the "cost of complying" and "unacceptable impact" on economic viability.

In my view, it is arguable that these items should be included in your ECR policy.

Robert

Robert,

As far as I am aware, there is no detailed governmental guidance on the issues that are concerning you. The DCLG guide "Community Infrastructure Levy Relief - Information Document" of May 2011 only takes a broad brush approach and does little more than reiterate the relevant parts of the Regulations. 

You are therefore left with a literal interpretation of what the Regulations say and, in my view, Reg. 57(4)(d)(i) is quite clear. The independant person must carry out an assesment of what the total costs of complying with all the requirements of the s.106 would be.  The applicant will therefore need to appoint an independant person who is capable of carrying out that sort of assesment.

The case that is put by the claimant re the impact on economic viability will probably be the most important part of the claim. If a convincing case is put showing that the payment of CIL in addition to complying with the s.106 requirements would make the proposed development unviable then relief should be granted. 

As I said in my original post in this thread, I would have thought that it would be better to deal with each claim on its own merits rather than try to draft a policy which would be equally applicable in what may be a wide variety of corcumstances. 

I am aware that it's easy for me to say all the above as my authority decided not to offer ECR!   

Rebecca Randall, modified 9 Years ago.

RE: Exceptional Circumstances Relief

Enthusiast Posts: 60 Join Date: 06/05/14 Recent Posts

Hello

Did anyone end up putting in place local criteria? We are putting in an ECR policy and I (along with our Cheif Exec and Members) are concerned that any decisions are auditable and defendable. There's no grounds for Appeal on an ECR decision in the Regs, but I'm assuming JR could apply? Any info anyone has on how the decision was made would also be useful i.e. was it a specific manager or do you have a forum. Also, given that CIL is a material consideration, would a decision to grant ECR need to go back to DM committee if it was not originally granted under delegated powers?

Thanks, Rebecca.