Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Mezzanines and new Info Requirement Form

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

Planning Portal published a revised CIL: Addition Information Requirement Form and accompanying guidance last week. I am however confused with parts 7 d) and e) of the guidance. Whist the guidance has been revised and would now appear to concur with Circular 01/2006 in terms mezzanines requiring permission now being CIL liable I am very confused with the second sentence 'Where appropriate, the floorspace created by the addition of a mezzanine floor will be deducted from the net additional gross internal floorspace when the CIL liability is calculated'. Can anyone shed any light on what this actually means as it implies to me that when mezzanine floorspace is not liable it can still be deducted against the floorspace liability giving less liable floorspace that say a new building where there is no mezzanine. It doesn’t seem to make sense as surely the mezzanine is counted or it isn't?

Jo,

According to our legal advice, mezzanine floors and indeed any other works that only affect the internal of an existing building are not liable for CIL.

This is supported by the Notes on Q2a within CIL Form for determining if a development is liable, which states where "the new floorspace solely relates to an internal/mezzanine floor and no other works or change of use are proposed" it is not liable.

This would also be supported by the fact that the issue of mezzanine floors is now included within the section on existing buildings - deductible floorspace, and the text you have highlighted "Where appropriate, the floorspace created by the addition of a mezzanine floor will be deducted from the net additional gross internal floorspace when the CIL liability is calculated”, which I read as meaning that within the situations specified mezzanines are considered non-chargeable - or both chargeable and deductible (but not charging would seem cleaner).

However, the guidance for 7 d) and e) is very confusing, before the text you highlighted it states "Mezzanine floors of less than 200 square metres are not liable for CIL, unless they are to be installed as part of a planning permission which permits other works as well".

This would seem to suggest that that a larger mezzanine of over 200m2 would be liable for CIL - this has never been specified before (as far as I am aware). It also suggests that if the mezzanine is not the only chargebale floorspace then it is chargeable? I cannot see where this is supported in the CIL Regulations? Any ideas?

Hi Daniel, thanks for your response. I haven't found anything that mentions this within the CIL regulations. I think that the reason that mezzanines that are over 200 sq m are now chageable is to make this consistant with when planning permission is required for them. More confusing is that the RICS defiition for GIA states that mezzanines with permanent access should be included within the calculation of GIA. None of it seems to make much sense!