Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Are residential mobile homes cil liable development?

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

Residential mobile homes are part of the C3 Use Classes Order so presumably CIL liable. But under section 209 of the 2008 Planning Act, CIL liable development  is defined as 'anything done by way of or for the purpose of the creation of a new building, or anything done to or in respect of an existing building'. So this seems to suggest that mobile homes are not development for CIL purposes. I think this is the position other Charging Authorities have taken.
But Section 209 (2)(b) of the Act also says the CIL regulations may provide for 'the creation of, or anything done to or in respect of, a structure of a specified kind to be treated as development'. This to me suggests residential mobile homes.
Can anyone enlighten me on whether residential mobile homes are CIL liable or not?

Hi Scott,

In March last year I posed the same question on this forum. It is now widely accepted that mobile homes do not attract a CIL liability.

Hi Tony. I managed to find that previous thread which was helpful. I should have checked before I posted the new one.
Thanks again.
Scott