Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

PD rights for development immune from enforcement?

Former Member, modified 16 Years ago.

Can anybody help? With an attached Granny Annex that was conditioned for a family member, and has subsequently been breached in excess of 10 years so that it is considered lawful as a self contained unit. Do they then benefit from PD rights? I don't think so but am looking for some evidence/case law to back up my stance?

I am not familiar with any specific case law but in my view the 'annexe' cannot avail itself of P.D. rights unless it is lawful i.e . a certificate of lawfulness has been issued identifying the annexe and its curtilage (the planning unit). Has a Certificate been applied for and obtained in this case? Incidentally, the four year rule applies in this case.

If a certificate is granted for the annex as a self contained unit with curtilage, would it then benefit from PD? At the moment they are by-passing the first certificate to formalise its status (breach occured over 20 years ago) and going straight for the 70 cubic meter extension on top!

P.D. Rights

Immunity from enforcement action would convey full p.d. rights upon the property regardless of there being a certificate of lawfulness in place according to the wording in Circular 17/92 Annex 1 paragraph 5 & 16). However, this text was not incorporated through to Circular 10/97 so it is now less clear and according to D.C. Practice book is yet to be clarified through the Courts. It is always advisable to apply for and obtain a certificate of lawfulness for the avoidance of doubt, but a property owner is not obliged to do so and this does not render what may be a lawful development unlawful.