Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Mast or antenna with supporting structure?!

Former Member, modified 14 Years ago.

Mast or antenna with supporting structure?!

Hello all I have recently received an enquiry about a mast being erected on the top of a building. The mast is described by the operator as 3 antennas and a supporting structure (this structure being a beam with pole attached). Can anyone tell me what they consider to be the difference between a mast and an antenna with a supporting structure? Kind Regards Amy
Former Member, modified 14 Years ago.

Re: Mast or antenna with supporting structure?!

Amy. Interesting one! A "mast" means a radio mast or a radio tower according to the interpretation of Part 24 but there is no definition anywhere that I can find of "supporting structure". I think you just have to therfore take a commensense approach. A 'supporting structure' would be someting relatively small and ancilliary to the antenna like brackets, beams or poles where as a mast (or tower) would be something much bigger and capable of potentially accommodating more than one antenna, each of which might then have its own supporting structure! In your particular case how high is the pole? If it is say just big enough to raise the antenna above a parapet wall, then I would say it was a 'supporting structure' and not a 'mast'. Just my gut reaction as an 'ex' Enforcement Officer so I'll be interested to see what others have to say on the subject.