Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Interpreting Class A of the PD regs - extensions

Former Member, modified 13 Years ago.

Interpreting Class A of the PD regs - extensions

I have a situation where a terraced property is being extended. The property has an original offshoot containing the kitchen. The owner is extending the offshoot by 3 metres under part (e), which seems fine on the face of it. However, when I went to take a look, the original offshoot has been entirely removed and a new extension that is the length of the old extension plus 3 metres exactly, but is wider by a foot and taller than before, has resulted in a 7.5 metre extension, 3 metres high along a boundary with another terraced house. The new addition is overbearing and overshadows the neighbour badly . Has the owner removed his right to 'add on' to the original extension if he has entirely removed it? If he has, then the extension he is building should only be 3 metres from the rear wall of the main house. If he hasn't, the Regulations have allowed for a massive extension which is totally unacceptable to the neighbour with no means of taking any action to remedy the detrimental effect on their amenity, which seems incorrect. I can't find a lot of caselaw on this topic as I suspect there hasn't been a great deal yet, so any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Former Member, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: Interpreting Class A of the PD regs - extensions

Is permission not now needed for demolition?
Former Member, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: Interpreting Class A of the PD regs - extensions

By removing the original outrigger, the extension is attached to the rear wall of the main house and includes the part on the footprint of the previously existing rooms, as well as the new part of the extension. As extensions cannot extend more than 3m from the rear wall of a terraced house, planning permission would be required for the works carried out.