Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Enforcement after a breach has ceased

Former Member, modified 12 Years ago.

Enforcement after a breach has ceased

I wonder if anyone has any experience of serving an enforcement notice in cases where there has recently been a breach, but the breach has ceased by the time the notice was issued? An LPA may want to do this for instance where it was clear the owner intended to resume the breach. Part VII of the Act consistently uses the wording "where there has been a breach" (not "is"), but I'm not sure how significant this is. DCP makes reference (at 4.5312) to an appeal judgement which seemed to find there was nothing wrong with this approach, but doesn't include much in the way of detail. Any ideas?

Re: Enforcement after a breach has ceased

Scott. I have recently been involved in a case where the unauthorised use had ceased by the time the enforcement notice was issued. An appeal was lodged against the notice in which the appellant claimed that there had been no breach as the use was not occurring at the time the notice was issued. The Planning Inspector disagreed and upheld the fact that the use had taken place within ten year of the notice being issued. The appeal was dismisssed and the notice was upheld. Regards Nigel Billett

Thanks Nigel, that's really helpful. Can I ask what the appeal site was so I can download it from the PINS website?

You're welcome Scott. The address is 36-40 Poole Hill, Bournemouth. The appeal reference is App/G1250/C/11/2146628. Nigel