Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Advertisement Case Related to Advertising on Van

Former Member, modified 12 Years ago.

Advertisement Case Related to Advertising on Van

Hi All I remember seeing a case recently where an authority had prosecuted an advertiser who was parking a van with their advert on the side in a residential area. Due to my poor memory, I can't remember who the authority was, but was hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction of the case please? A link to the transcript would be greatly appreciated if possible. Thank you in advance Ben Elvin Senior Planning Enforcement Officer Babergh DC and Mid Suffolk DC

Re: Advertisement Case Related to Advertising on Van

Ben I think you might be referring to the case featured in the April NAPE newsletter, which was by Edinburgh City Council.

While not familiar with the case it was my understanding the issue is one of principle use. if the vehicle is being used in relation to the trade advertised it is not an advert. However if the purpose of the vehicle is mainly to advertise then consent is required. I would have thought as I assume the vehicle is uses regularly that it would be hard to argue it forms an advert when parked

Have a look at Calderdale Metropolitan Borough Council v Windy Bank Dairy Farm Ltd, which is available from http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2010/2929.html

Dear All Thank you for the messages. I think the Edinburgh one is the case I was looking for, however, the Calderdale one is very useful. Thanks again for your help. Ben