Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

amateur radio mast

Former Member, modified 12 Years ago.

amateur radio mast

Has anyone seen one of these before. The photo shows it in its retracted form , it extends to 6m with various mast attachements. It is only held in place by tent pegs into the grass so is easily removed. Does it still need permission as its portable?

Re: amateur radio mast

It is probably a chattle as it's only pegged in. If it needed to be 'installed' - i.e. by a team of professionals, then it might not be a chattle, so as long as it is packed up when not in use - and was used ancillary to the residential property it's not development. Depending on the permanence of its siting (i.e. it wasn't packed up at all for a year - or was normally left in place) it could cease to be a chattle by virtue of it's permantent siting. Check on DCP for some case law on that would be the best bet. What ever position you take, make that clear to the operator, and the complainant in writing. Any deviation from that position could then be reasonably understood by the Council to be a breach of planning control. Also, you could serve a PCN, asking if the operator is aware of any reason why your interpretation is wrong or incorrect and to provide justification of their case. If they don't contest your view, or can't - you could reasonably proceed with taking more formal action if necessary. Ultimately, you're not stopping them have their hobby - you just want them to fully pack down the mast when not in reasonable use.

Hi Charlotte ... has any 'development' taken place, i.e. building, engineering, mining or other operations (I'm excluding material change of use as it it without doubt incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling house). If it is only pegged to the ground and is easily demountable I would say not. Don't let what it looks like (or what the neighbours think) affect your decison on the first issue. Remember the old saying ... 'awful can be lawful'! Mike

I think you will find that this is a 27ft (8m) mast as used by the British Army many years ago. The mast was designed to be portable and quick to put up and take down. I have come across one of these previously and it was decided that it did not constitute a breach of planning.

Thankyou all , thats another one closed then!!!! Charlotte