Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Holiday use - Enforcing conditions

Former Member, modified 12 Years ago.

Holiday use - Enforcing conditions

We have a site authorised as a holiday park subject to conditions stating firstly the use of the chalets shall be for holiday use only and secondly the chalets are not to be occupied as a person's sole or main residence. It appeared that the owners were occupying in breach however upon challenge each occupier has now produced information claiming an alternative main residence mostly living at a relative's home address and stating the chalet is their holiday home. Any ideas for establishing usage and monitoring without being unduly intrusive? Thanks
Tim Wood, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: Holiday use - Enforcing conditions

New Member Posts: 7 Join Date: 19/10/11 Recent Posts
Catherine, We have had a recent similar example We received assistance from our Council Tax and Housing Benefits offices to find what details were registered for the relevant 'permanent' property and any claims that may have been made. Finding out where people supposedly 'on-holiday' were working and the geographic relationship between the 'holiday chalet' and the more distant 'permanent address' was helpful. We also received assistance from another authority who checked the state of a 'permanent' residential address (that was in their District) for us to see whether it appeared to be occupied, and if so by whom. With such evidence we have been able to have a 'useful' conversation with the occupiers of the holiday home and the owners of the site. I hope this gives you some useful ideas, I'm sure there must be plenty more tools you can find too.
Former Member, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: Holiday use - Enforcing conditions

When I was an Enforcement Officer I always considered that two massive give aways as to permanent residencey were (a) the electoral register and (b) council tax. Provided that you 'suspect' a breach of control then a PCN could be the first step. You could ask whatever questions that you felt were necessary to establish where the 'permanent' residence might be.