Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Placards, posters and banners

Former Member, modified 12 Years ago.

Placards, posters and banners

I have posted this on behalf of my colleague Graham Avis. Section 225 Town and Country Planning Act 1990 fails to give any definition of ‘placards and posters’ for the purposes of removal and/or obliteration. It does however mention that it is up to the local planning authority and, ultimately, the courts to determine upon the facts of each case. But with regard to ‘banners’ the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) (England) Regulations 2007 fails to mention them let alone give any definition. For purposes of the enforcement of these Regulations, particularly within a town centre/conservation area environment, do other local planning authorities treat banners AS placards and posters, or am I missing something? I think that they are one and the same but others disagree. Graham Avis Planning Enforcement Officer Wyre Council

Re: Placards, posters and banners

As there is no definition of either 'poster' or 'placard' in the Regs interpretation should be able to be fairly accommodating. The Enforcement Team at the Lake District National Park waged a particularly successful campaign against banners using their S225 powers. Perhaps you could get in touch with them? I do know that they had the full support of their Legal Officer at the time. Mike

Re: Placards, posters and banners

The definition is found in the interpretation section of the 1990 Act and is “advertisement” means any word, letter, model, sign, placard, board, notice, awning, blind], device or representation, whether illuminated or not, in the nature of, and employed wholly or partly for the purposes of, advertisement, announcement or direction, and (without prejudice to the previous provisions of this definition) includes any hoarding or similar structure used or designed], or adapted for use and anything else principally used, or designed or adapted principally for use,], for the display of advertisements, and references to the display of advertisements shall be construed accordingly; Banners and placards are clearly advertisements within the Act and can be, and have been, treated accordingly.