Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Portable buildings/steel containers

Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

Portable buildings/steel containers

Dear all, I'm looking for advise regarding portable buildings/site offices and steel containers,can I site one on land without planning permission,providing that its not fixed to the ground or has foundations. I would really appreciate your help.regards richard

Re: Portable buildings/steel containers

Welcome Richard. I'm guessing you'll get better quality answers if you explain the purpose of these containers, the timetable and what kind of land you're intending to place them on ...

There has been a discussion about this very topic within the South West Officers Group, and also I think on the NAPE discussion forum, so it has been well chewed over. I was most convinced by the argument that these should be considered development, even if they are not fixed to the ground, as they have a degree of permanence and cannot be easily moved. The argument is that they are 'other operations' which come under s55. I have copied out something below that I have come across, and have some more stuff if you want to email me: andy.birchley@gloucester.gov.uk The term “building” in s.336(1) of the Act has a wide definition which includes “any structure or erection”. This description has been interpreted by the courts to include structures which would not ordinarily be described as buildings. The Council did not direct itself correctly in law on the issue of permanence. This has to be construed in terms of significance in the planning context. The units were permanently in their field and there was no limit on the length of time they would remain there. The Council had placed reliance on the fact that each unit was prefabricated and easily assembled so its construction was not an operation “normally undertaken by a builder” (s.55(1A)(d)). However, s.55(1A) is inclusive: it is not intended to be an exhaustive definition of “building operations”. In any event, the works carried out to construct and install the units were capable of coming within s.55(1A)(d). The Council failed to consider the application of that section. The residual category in s.55(1), namely, “other operations” is not limited to building, engineering or mining operations. In conclusion, the Council had misdirected itself in law in the application of s.55 to the poultry units.

Thanks andy,I can't tell you I'm clear on it yet,so if we had a plot and put a prefab building or steel container on pasture/green belt would I need planning permission,as we have chickens,25 sheep and livestock to look after.its a real problem as I don't seem to be able to get a clear cut decision on whether its permitted or not. Someone told me the other day that I can put a shed anywhere providing its not fixed and does not go over four meters in height but can be fixed with boreholes that are a certain space apart,the shed apparently does not even have to be a certain size ?? I must admit I was not convinced but he was..

Hi Richard, You do not require planning permission for portable poultry housing. So long as you do move the poultry units which one would do to allow fresh grounds for the birds, then they are not demonstrating a degree of permanence.
thumbnail
Bailey Rory, modified 7 Years ago.

RE: Portable buildings/steel containers

New Member Post: 1 Join Date: 10/08/16 Recent Posts

Richard,

I know that fabric buildings can be erected on a variety of different foundations. If permitting is dependent on the type of foundation used, this may be an option for you. A quick search found this article about fabric buildings and foundation options. Best of luck!