Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

215 Schedule of Works

Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

215 Schedule of Works

Is it possible to give an either /or option in the schedule of works for a 215. I often use them in Enf Notices but wondered if anyone had used them in 215s. This particular property is capable of being renovated however it would be just as easy to require demolition. The owners favoured option is demolition but hes reluctant due to probate not being sorted yet. I wanted to say in this case 1) demolish the building OR 2) fit new windows and paint exterior masonry etc. Can you still undertake the default works in an either or situation? Thanks

Re: 215 Schedule of Works

Charlotte. Section 79 of the Building Act 1984 gives an either/or option in cases of buildings that are detrimental to the visual amenities of a neighbourhood due to their ruinous or dilapidated condition. There is also a default power under Section 99 of the Building Act. Demolition will however require prior approval under the Planning Act and Building Control will also need to be given prior notice of the intended demolition by the owner. I have issued a number of these notices in Bournemouth which have had the desired effect without the need for direct action.

Re: 215 Schedule of Works

Charlotte, I have used alternatives in a S215 notice. I gave steps to repair and improve a building with one timescale and as an alternative demolition and clearance with a longer timescale. The owner has now demolished and cleared the site. So long as the notice is clear that he has a choice but must do one or the other and clear on the timescales for each option it should be fine.