Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Summerhouse

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

Summerhouse

Opinions on this subject would be greatly received - Land has been dug out to create a flatter land and less intrusive for neighbours to build a summerhouse, from the dug out point to the top of the building it measures 2.9 however from the natural ground level (previous to building the summerhouse) the building measures 2.5. The owners in question were planning to refill in the land surrounding to its original state, however is there a need to if the measurements are taken from the highest point of adjacent natural land? Or will the building require planning/lowering? We are basing it on 2.5 maximum height as the summerhouse is within the 2m boundary. Many Thanks

Re: Summerhouse

In the technical guidance it states that ground level is the surface of the ground immediately adjacent to the building in question. Where ground level is not uniform (e.g. if the ground is sloping), then the ground level is the highest part of the surface of the ground next to the building. Therefore, if the building is less than 2.5m high when measured from the natural ground level immediately adjacent to the building, it will not require planning permission, subject to the other provisions of the GPDO. However, if digging it into the ground, flooding can be a bit of a problem.

Many Thanks for your reply!! I was getting stuck in my view (which is the same as yours) but was concerned I was on the wrong path, thankfully not! Kind Regards, Tess

This situation has continued as there are conflicting opinions The ground slopes high at the back of the summerhouse to low at the front, so the building is higher at the front facing the house than at the back. Is it correct to take the measurement from the front of the summerhouse facing the dwelling or the highest point of ground which is at the back of the summerhouse? Many Thanks