Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Planning Register - Withdrawn Applications

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

Hi

Quick question for all of you Planning Experts out there...

Do withdrawn applications remain part of the Statutory Planning Register?

Part 1 Regs seem to say no

Part 2 Regs seem to not say anything at all

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Ian

Ian,

The DMPO 2010 Art 36 does not, as you know, specifically mention withdrawn applications.

Part 1 relates to applications "not finally disposed of". There is a good arguement that withdrawn applications have been finally disposed of and should therefore not be included.

Part 2, arguably, should include them as it does not specifically exclude them but, given the purpose of teh Planning Register no useful purposes would be served in including them (in my opinion). 

As with all things relating to the keeping of the Planning Register, I suspect that there is a variance between LPAs on this issue.   

I certainly would include them in part 2.  Just because an application is withdrawn doesn't mean there was no application to begin with.

[quote=Tony Beckett]

Part 2, arguably, should include them as it does not specifically exclude them but, given the purpose of teh Planning Register no useful purposes would be served in including them (in my opinion). 

[/quote]

Apart from the general usefulness of having a complete planning history for a site, including withdrawn applications in part 2 allows the LPA to determine if a subsequent application is fee exempt as a "free go".

To correct my earlier post, Art.36(13)(d) does specifically mention withdrawn applications and puts beyond doubt the fact that thet should not be included in Part 1.